The Scarab Club is an artists' club located in the Cultural Center area of Detroit. It was founded in 1907 and moved to this Lancelot Sukert-designed building in 1928. Sukert, incidentally, was a member of the Scarab Club.
The prominent scarab of glazed terra cotta was designed by Horace Colby and fired at Pewabic Pottery. The insect is an Egyptian symbol of rebirth.