Saint Henry's Roman Catholic Church, at 82 West 29th Street, was built between 1911 and 1915 to the English Gothic design of Thomas Henry Poole. The parish, one of the first Catholic parishes in Bayonne and is part of the Archdiocese of Newark, was founded in 1889 by 50 German immigrant families from Bavaria and was named after Emperor Henry II of the Holy Roman Empire. The first church building, a wooden structure, was built in 1890 on the northeast corner of Avenue D (now Broadway) and 26th Street. St. Henry's merged with St. Thomas' Church when the latter closed in 1892.
Patterned after Durham Cathedral in England, it features a cruciform design, similar to most medieval European churches. The exterior is faced in limestone from Bedford, Indiana. The interior features a a Botticino marble main altar which was imported from Pietrasanta, Italy, a pulpit of carrara marble and the 28 foot high baldachino made of oak from the Balkans, lindenwood from Bavaria and local pine which, along with the screen behind the alter, were made in Urtijëi, Italy. Over 30,000 pieces of goldleaf were used in the gilding. During renovations in 1968-1969, the plain windows were replaced with stained glass windows, done in 11th century Byzantine style, including one of Pope John XXIII, created by Simon Berasaluce.