new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
O'ahu - Honolulu - Waikīkī: Moana Surfrider | by wallyg
Back to photostream

O'ahu - Honolulu - Waikīkī: Moana Surfrider

The Moana Hotel, also known as the First Lady of Waikīkī, located at 2365 Kalākaua Avenue first opened its doors to on March 11, 1901. The brainchild of wealthy Honolulu landowner, Walter Chamberlain Peacock, the Moana was the first large hotel in previously neglected Waikīkī, it is often regarded as the flagship in Hawai'i tourism. In Hawaiian, moana means "open sea" or "ocean."

 

The building was designed by Oliver G. Traphagen, the building's Hawaiian Gothic/Beaux-arts architecture was influenced by popular European styles. If features a grand porte cochere lined with Ionic columns on the street side and wide verandas on the ocean side. The Moana was built with 75 guest rooms, offering telephones and private baths, and the first electric-powered elevator on the islands.

 

Peacock didn't find success with the hotel and sold it to Alexander Young, who in turn sold to the Matson Navigation Company in 1932 for $1.6 million. It was under Matson that the hotel's popularity grew. Two floors were added in 1928 along with Italian Renaissance-styled concrete wings, creating its famous H shape and banyan court. From 1935 to 1975, the courtyard hosted the historic Hawaii Calls live radio broadcast.

 

In 1952, Matson built the new Surfrider Hotel on the Moana's east side. In 1959, they sold all their Waikīkī properties to the Sheraton Company. In 1969 thet built a towering new hotel on the Moana's west side called the Sheraton Surfrider and turned the previous Surfrider into a wing of the Moana. Sheraton sold all their Hawaiian hotels in 1974 to Japanese industrialist Kenji Osano and his Kyo-Ya Company. In 1989,a $50 million restoration by architect Virginia D. Murison restored the Moana to its 1901 appearance and incorporated the two adjacent buildings into one resort with a common lobby, named the Sheraton Moana Surfrider. In 200 In 2008, the hotel was officially reborn as the Moana-Surfrider, a Westin Resort & Spa. Today the resort has expanded to accommodate 794 guest rooms, two restaurants, 19,000 square-feet of event space, and Waikīkī's first and only beachfront spa.

 

National Register #72000417 (1972)

5,986 views
4 faves
1 comment
Taken on May 23, 2010