The Trevi Fountain (Italian: Fontana di Trevi) is a fountain in the Trevi rione in Rome, Italy. Standing 25.9 metres (85 feet) high and 19.8 metres (65 feet) wide, it is the largest Baroque fountain in the city, and it is one of the most famous fountains in the world.
In 1629 Pope Urban VIII, finding the earlier fountain insufficiently dramatic, asked Gian Lorenzo Bernini to sketch possible renovations, but when the Pope died, the project was abandoned. Bernini's lasting contribution was to resite the fountain from the other side of the square to face the Quirinal Palace (so the Pope could look down and enjoy it). Though Bernini's project was torn down for Salvi's fountain, there are many Bernini touches in the fountain as it was built. An early, striking and influential model by Pietro da Cortona, preserved in the Albertina, Vienna, also exists, as do various early 18th century sketches, most unsigned, as well as a project attributed to Nicola Michetti one attributed to Ferdinando Fuga and a French design by Edme Bouchardon.
Panorama of the Trevi Fountain at night.Competitions had become the
rage during the Baroque era to design buildings, fountains, and even
the Spanish Steps. In 1730 Pope Clement XII organized a contest in
which Nicola Salvi initially lost to Alessandro Galilei — but due to
the outcry in Rome over the fact that a Florentine won, Salvi was
awarded the commission anyway. Work began in 1732, and the fountain
was completed in 1762, long after Clement's death, when Pietro
Bracci's Oceanus (god of all water) was set in the central niche.
The asso di coppeSalvi died in 1751, with his work half-finished, but before he went he made sure a stubborn barber's unsightly sign would not spoil the ensemble, hiding it behind a sculpted vase, called by Romans the asso di coppe, "the "Ace of Cups".
The Trevi Fountain was finished in 1762 by Giuseppe Pannini, who substituted the present allegories for planned sculptures of Agrippa and "Trivia", the Roman virgin.
The fountain was refurbished in 1998; the stonework was scrubbed and the fountain provided with recirculating pumps