Salford Quays is an area of Salford in Greater Manchester, England, near the end of the Manchester Ship Canal.
Previously the site of Manchester Docks, it became one of the first
and largest urban regeneration projects in the United Kingdom
following the closure of the dockyards in 1982.
Built by the Manchester Ship Canal Company, Salford Docks were the larger of two sections which made up Manchester Docks; the other being Pomona Docks to the east. They were opened in 1894 by Queen Victoria[ and spanned 120 acres (49 ha) of water and 1,000 acres (400 ha) of land. At their height the Manchester Docks were the third busiest port in Britain, but due to containerisation and the limit placed on vessel size by the ship canal, the docks declined swiftly during the 1970s.The docks finally closed in 1982 resulting in the loss of 3,000 jobs.
In 1984 Salford City Council acquired Salford Docks from the Ship Canal Company with the use of a derelict land grant.[The area was rebranded as Salford Quays, redevelopment by principle developers Urban Waterside began in 1985 under the Salford Quays Development Plan.