The Hoppringills of Gala made improvement and added extensions to Gala Old House through the 16th and early 17th centuries, before Andrew Hoppringall returned to live at the family seat of Smailholm Tower in 1635. His daughter Jean, married Hugh Scott. A ceiling painting was rediscovered in 1952 celebrating that marriage. Hugh Scott, the new laird, carried out more improvements and extended the house, further extensions being made in the 17th and 18th centuries.
In 1872, another Hugh Scott commissioned David Bryce, the eminent Scottish architect, to design and build a new house. On completion the family moved to New Gala House, abandoning the old house. New Gala House, still the seat of the Scotts, was demolished in 1985.
Today, as well as being a museum and conference centre, Gala Old House plays a role in the graduation ceremonies of the local 'university' and also caters for meetings and weddings. The house also holds the archives of the Borders Family History Association.