Newton Church
The church of St. Oswald consists of chancel 16 ft. by 13 ft. 6 in., nave 32 ft. 6 in. by 17 ft. 6 in., south porch 6 ft. square, and west tower 13 ft. 9 in. by 14 ft. 6 in., all these measurements being internal. The nave only is ancient, and belongs to an aisleless 12th-century structure, the chancel of which was rebuilt in 1857. The tower was added in 1901, in which year the church was restored, a new oak roof erected, the floor relaid, and a stone altar provided.

From: 'Parishes: Newton', A History of the County of York North Riding: Volume 2 (1923), pp. 273-276.
10 photos · 393 views