india (28)India Parliment House
Parliament House is a massive circular edifice 560 feet (170.69 metres) in diameter. Its circumference is one-third of a mile 536.33 metres and it covers an area of nearly six acres (24281.16 square metres). The open verandah on the first floor is fringed with a colonnade of 144 creamy sandstone columns—each 27 feet (8.23 metres) high. The building has twelve gates among which Gate No. 1 on the Sansad Marg is the main gate.
Apart from the fact that the building was built with indigenous material and by Indian labour, the architecture of the building bears a close imprint of the Indian tradition. The layout of fountains both inside and outside the building, the use of Indian symbols the "Chhajjas" which shade the walls and windows and the varied forms of "Jali" in marble are reminders of the story of the craftsmanship displayed in ancient monuments and memorials. With the ancient features of Indian art are mingled modern scientific achievements in acoustics, air-conditioning, simultaneous Interpretation and Automatic Voting etc.
The Central Hall is circular in shape and its dome which is 98 ft. (29.87 metres) in diameter is stated to be one of the most magnificent domes in the world.
The Central Hall is a place of historical importance. The transfer of power on the 15th August, 1947 from British to Indian hands took place in this Hall. The Indian Constitution was also framed in the Central Hall.
The Central Hall was originally used as the Library of the erstwhile Central Legislative Assembly and the Council of States. In 1946, it was converted and refurnished into the Constituent Assembly Hall. The Constituent Assembly met there from December 9, 1946 to January 24, 1950.