Difficult to put a date to this photo, but it's probably about 1912 or possibly a few years later - see comments below. On the far right of the picture, the front yard of Meux's brewery has been replaced by the Court Cinema and the YMCA building now occupies the corner site of Great Russell Street and Tottenham Court Road. According to one source, the company running this cinema and several others, London and Provincial Electric Theatres, was wound up in 1918 by the Board Of Trade under the "Trading with the Enemy Amendment Act", when it was suspected that a German member of staff had been signalling to zeppelins from the roof of the Portabello Road site. In its later years, the cinema showed mainly sex films - it closed in 1928 and was replaced by the Dominion Theatre.
N.B. This picture is part of a set showing how one of London's most famous streets used to look in the 20th century, before major demolition work started in the 1960's and more recently, due to the Crossrail development. To take a trip down the Charing Cross Road, starting at St Giles Circus in the north, click here www.flickr.com/photos/59082098@N05/sets/72157629469822347/ to see the Astoria when it was a Crosse & Blackwell pickle warehouse, the old Jacey news theatre and many other buildings, long since disappeared.