Soviet monument in Dresden
The Soviet monument in Dresden (sculptor: Otto Rost) shares something with the Soviet bronze soldier in Tallin/Estland which reached world wide publicity in 2007. This Dresden monument originally was inaugurated on November 25th, 1945, in the city's centre - on Albertplatz square (during GDR times: Platz der Einheit), on the fundament of an old fountain.
In 1994, after the withdrawal of the Russian troops from East Germany, the city of Dresden decided to reconstruct the fountain - and relocated the monument to Olbrichtplatz, a square on the outskirts of Dresden and quite hidden, within the barracks quarter of the Saxonian capital. The only reasonable thing about this translocation is the fact that now the monument is close to the Soviet cemetery.
The monument especially honours the soldiers of the 5th Guard Army who took Dresden in 1945. The flowers, by the way, are remnants of the 8th/9th of May celebrations. One of the bouquets was layed there by the Soviet 11th Tank Division which was stationed in and around Dresden until 1994.