- Route of the Cunha Cunha Pass trail connecting the village of Hayfield in St. Thomas and the village of Millbank in Portland.
- Driving to Morant Point feels like driving to the end of the world.
- Road to Ocho Rios
- Long Bay and Manchioneal
- Yallahs and the first salt pond
- Burger King location featured in the documentary Life and Debt.
- Hordley Estate (Bev Smith)
- Morant Bay, where students from Temple University in Philadelphia partnering with the Women's Center to begin the St. Thomas Women's Sewing Cooperative.
- Region covered in our escursion with Mr. Parke in the watersheds of the Yallahs and Negro Rivers.
map of eastern jamaica
The Center for Global Understanding, where Temple University students
stay while in Jamaica, is located on the spit of land between the
first of the Yallahs salt ponds and the Caribbean Sea. You can
identify the salt ponds on the map above as the southernmost points
along the southeastern coast. Drag your cursor across the map and one
of the boxes identifies the ponds.
The coastal road, in red, wraps around Jamaica's easternmost parishes of St. Thomas and Portland. We explored all four corners of this map: Ocho Rios in the northwest, Kingston in the southwest, Morant Point in the southeast and Long Bay further north along the eastern coastline. Plus we explored parts of the center as we hiked up and over the Cunha Cunha Pass Trail, connecting St. Thomas and Portland the old fashioned way. Morant Bay is the largest town in the parish, and the location of the Women's Center that we have been working in partnership with.