Today's FGR theme was "I am...", which was the perfect opportunity for me to finally respond to being tagged by lesamonster and Utahbeach (sorry for taking so long, folks!). Since I was tagged, I have to give 16 random facts about myself. Coincidentally, I was tagged on Facebook by my lovely wife for something similar a few days ago, only for that one I had to do 25 facts. So I figure hey, I might as well do put up all 25 here, eh?
1. I'm going to be a dad in less than a month (Due date = February 19)!
2. I'm left-handed...kinda. Things I do left-handed: write, draw, paint, play baseball, play football, hold a hockey stick, talk on the phone, wear a watch (I put it on my right arm). I also us my left foot to kick when I play soccer. Things I do right-handed: Play tennis, play golf, use a computer mouse, take pictures (is it possible to take pictures left-handed?). When I play basketball I dribble and shoot right-handed, but I do layups and hook shots left-handed.
3. When I was a kid I loved flying and wanted to be a pilot when I grew up, but then I met a friend whose dad was an airline pilot and he wasn't home a lot, so I decided I'd rather not be a pilot because I wanted to be home with my family every night.
4. When I was young, my hair was almost totally white. If the sun was behind me, it looked like I had this bright white halo above my head.
5. Video game systems I've owned: Atari 2600, NES, Game Boy, Super NES, Game Gear, PlayStation, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Boy Advance, Game Boy Advance SP, Gamecube, Xbox, Nintendo DS, Wii, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360.
6. My dad used to have a big beer stein filled with coins in his dresser that my sisters and I would sneak money out of. To this day I'm not sure if he ever knew we all did it. I also keep a big beer stein filled with coins on my computer desk and I put all my spare change in it.
7. At my heaviest, I weighed 215 lbs. That was a few years ago. For the last 10 months I've been going to the gym regularly and I'm down to about 190 lbs.
8. I was raised in a Christian and conservative household, and was quite religious and conservative until after I graduated college. Since 2000, I've slowly transitioned away from Christianity and conservatism, and now I'm agnostic and somewhat liberal (although my parents would say I'm very liberal). I still do, however, understand and respect many of the feelings, beliefs, and arguments from Christians and conservatives even if I don't share them.
9. My dad is a dentist and my mom is a dental hygienist, but I floss my teeth probably once every 5 months.
10. 10 is my favorite number.
11. I love all kinds of music and artists, but the two artists that I can always listen to, no matter what the song, are Tom Petty and Jack Johnson.
12. When I was a kid I used to pick my nose and stick the boogers underneath tables (or my bed).
13. I've taken lessons for clarinet, piano, and guitar but I never was very good at any of them.
14. I only went to high school for three years. I participated in a program called the Resident Honors Program that allowed me to skip my senior year in high school and go to USC instead. But my parents made it a condition that for the first year I had to come home every couple of weekends, which I didn't mind doing because I missed my family and friends back home in Ventura County.
15. I really wanted to have a nickname when I was in elementary school. For a couple days I tried to make my sisters call me Beaver, but it didn't stick.
16. When I got my wisdom teeth out, the doctor told my dad he had to give me enough sedative to tranquilize a horse. After the operation I had all sorts of problems including dry sockets (where the gum doesn't grow over the hole like it should, so your jawbone is sitting there exposed...painful!), something that made it so that I couldn't swim, blow my nose, or drink through a straw for a few weeks (the tissue between my nose and mouth was barely there, and doing those things would blow it apart apparently), and continued numbness in the right part of my lower lip. That part of my lip is still numb.
17. I own a shotgun, but it lives in Southern California at my parents' house because Trish doesn't want guns in our house.
18. I snore really loudly. Always have. But now I have a snore guard that I wear at night and it helps a lot.
19. I got my first real job when I was 14, working for a fence company. I got paid under the table. My first day I didn't wear sunscreen and I didn't have work gloves, and I came home incredibly sunburnt and with very blistered hands.
20. I really enjoy eating, but I don't savor my food. I eat very fast (normally I'm done with my plate before anybody else at the table, unless I'm eating with my family because we're all pretty fast eaters). I'm also very bad about portion control. I'm learning, but it's hard for me to leave food on my plate.
21. My grandpa, dad, mom, and aunt all went to USC, so I was raised a Trojan. It was a dream come true when I ended up going there.
22. I almost drowned when I was 17 when I was trying to swim to the shore but a rip current kept pulling me under. I was only about 50 meters from the shore and could clearly see people, and I kept thinking how crappy it was that I was going to die 50 meters away from people. The next day, I was on a tall rock at a different beach that was about 40-50 feet high, and I almost got thrown off it (and into very rocky, rough water below) when some waves came in and crashed against the rock.
23. My favorite food is Mexican food. I never really had Indian food until a couple years ago, but it has quickly become one of my favorite types of food, as well.
24. I have asthma but thankfully I don't have to use my inhaler very often. When I was younger it was worse, and I always had to have my inhaler handy when I was playing a sport just in case. I'd even get asthma if I laughed too hard at something. It's a lot better now, but it acts up if I get a cold or if my allergies flare up.
25. Before I met my wife, the longest I'd ever "gone out with" a girl was 6 months. My wife and I have been together for almost 12 years now.