Best viewed Large on Black
The Hall of Prayer for Good Harvests (Qiniam Dian) is part of The Temple of Heaven Complex where the emperor would go once a year (at the winter solstice) to pray for good harvests. Built in 1542 (the 24th year of Emperor Jiajing's reign of the Ming Dynasty) on the site of an earlier temple and named the Great Hall for Offering Sacrifices, it was constructed totally of wood and without the use of a single nail. In 1749 (the 14th year of Emperor Qianlong's reign of the Qing Dynasty) the temple was remodeled and renamed to its present Hall of Prayer for Good Harvests (Qiniam Dian). The triple-eave Qiniam Dian rises 125ft (38m) and is topped by a blue tile conical roof with a golden finial at its center. The temple rests atop the center of a circle formed by three tiers of marble 300ft (90m) in diameter and 20ft (6m) high with the balusters on the upper tier decorated with dragon carvings signifying the imperial nature of the structure. Qiniam Dian is often incorrectly called the Temple of Heaven. There is, in fact, no single temple building as such. The Temple of Heaven (Tian Tan) refers to the entire complex and in fact a more accurate translation of Tian Tan is not Temple of Heaven but Altar of Heaven.