- On this side, though not visible, Brussels Town Hall. Built between 1401 and 1455, itmade the Grand Place the seat of municipal power. It towers 96m high, and is capped by a 3m statue of Saint Michael slaying a demon.
- From 1504 to 1536 the Duke of Brabant built a large building across from the city hall as symbol of ducal power. It became known as the King's House although no king has ever lived there. It is currently known as the Maison du Roi (King's House) in French, though in Dutch it continues to be called the Broodhuis (Breadhouse), after the market whose place it took.
- Wealthy merchants and the increasingly powerful guilds of Brussels built houses around the edges of the square.
- On August the 13th 1695, the square was bombed to ruins by order of Louis XIV of France. He had Brussels destroyed in reprisal of a lost Battle in Namur. Between 1695 and 1700 the guilds rebuilt all the houses.
- Guild houses: In the Middle Ages no house numbers were given, but names. On the Gran' Place the names of the houses are often indicated by a little statue or some part of the decoration.
- The King of Spain (House of the guild of the bakers) - Le Roi d'Espagne
- The Wheelbarrow - La Brouette
- The Sack - Le Sac
- The Female Wolf - La Louve
- The Horn (House of the Sailors) - Le Cornet
- The Fox (House of the traders) - Le Renard
- The Helmet - Le Heaume
- The Peacock - Le Paon
- The Oak - Le Chêne
- The Samaritan - Le Samaritain
- Saint Barbara
- The Mule - L'Àne
- The King's House, opposite to the town hall symbolizing the counterpower to the citizens' power
- I lived 100m behind this building for 4 years!
- Paco Cabeza-Lopez
Grand' Place Bruxelles - Brussel Grote Markt - Brussels
keyboard shortcuts: ← previous photo → next photo L view in light box F favorite < scroll film strip left > scroll film strip right ? show all shortcuts