St Mary's Aisle
St Mary's Aisle was once part of the of a larger Collegiate Church. It was the North Transept. The rather large church that it was a part of was built here in 1386 by Baron Somerville. It was constructed on the site of an even older Norman church. The earlier smaller church was built by William de Somerville junior in 1167.
However, the main part of the old Colliegiate church was in such bad condition by the middle of the 15th century, that it was re-built in 1424 by the first Lord Somerville, Thomas Somerville (b. 1370 - d. 1444). St Mary's Aisle is all that remains of the original 14th century Catholic church.
Baron Thomas Somerville was given the title of the first Lord Somerville of Linton and Carnwath in 1430. Thomas was a widower with two children (William and Mary) to raise, so he married again.His second wife was Mary Sinclair (aka St. Clair), sister to the Earl of Orkny, and great aunt to the builder of Rosslyn Chapel. They were married in Rosslyn Chapel (the one that preceeded the monument that stands there today) in 1407 and had one daughter, Elizabeth. Both Thomas Lord Somerville and his wife Lady Mary are buried in St. Mary's Aisle.
The church was once part of the Carnwath Motte and Bailey Castle complex. The motte is now part of the Carnwath Golf Club across the street from the church.