King Louis VI and his queen, Adelaide of Savoy founded the Benedictine abbey of Montmartre in 1133. Queen Adelaide was its first abbess and was buried in the abbey church, which later became the parish church of Montmartre and is all that remains of the great abbey. Inside the church are 4 marble columns, supposedly from a Roman temple which originally stood on the site. The vaulted choir dates from the 12th century, the nave was remodelled in the 15th century and the west front in the 18th century. During the French Revolution the abbess was guillotined and the church fell into disuse. It was reconsecrated in 1908. It lost all its stained glass windows during a bombing in WWII.