The Peace Garden - foundation stone - Constructed 1925 in Broad Street Garden of Rememberance - Re-erected here 1990 - colonnade
An enscription on a stone in the shelter-like structure at The Peace Garden (remains of St Thomas Church).
a peaceful garden in the ruins of a bombed out church of St Thomas (hit during WW2).
"Constructed 1925 in Broad Street Garden of Rememberance - Re-erected here 1990"
It would seem that this structure was moved from Broad Street in 1990. It is an attractive colonnade.
Churchyard laid out as a Peace Garden in 1992, incorporating a Doric loggia by S.N. Cooke and W.N. Twist, once part of the Hall of Memory scheme, brought from Broad Street.
From Pevsner Architectural Guides: Birmingham by Andy Foster
At right angles to Broad Street (in front of the present ICC entrance) was built a colonnade also of Portland stone. This was removed to the Peace Gardens at the former St Thomas' church in Bath Row when Centenary Square was laid out 1989.
Above line from Bill Dargue - Birmingham City Centre (about Centenary Square).
The colonnade probably dates to 1925, when the Hall of Memory was built. It was moved brick by brick to the Peace Garden (former churchyard of St Thomas).
The colonnade used to stand outside where the Rep is now in Centenary Square.