New shots of the IKON Gallery in Oozells, Brindley Place, Birmingham.
Will be going here at the end of November 2010 for my work's 25th anniversary party celebrations, so popped by Oozells Square one last time before then.
Sign at the back. Ikon Gallery banner.
The Ikon Gallery is a English gallery of contemporary art located in Brindleyplace, Birmingham. It is housed in the former building of the Oozells Street Boarding School, designed by John Henry Chamberlain in 1877.
A square in Brindley place named after the nearby Oozells Street. It features a channel of still water lined by cherry trees. Paul de Monchaux designed the stone sculpted seats and pergola which are located in the square.
It is a Grade II listed building in a neo-gothic style.
1877, by Martin and Chamberlain. Former board school in a Ruskiman Gothic style. Red brick; tiled roof. Three storeys; 4 bays, those on the right and left advanced somewhat and lower than the others. That on the right is gabled, but that on the left apsidal. The inner 2 bays also gabled. The windows here arranged as triplets and, elsewhere, with pointed arches. In the tympana of the first floor windows some tiles. Above and behind the apsidal turret formerly a saddle-back roofed tower.
When listed in 1981 it was the Furniture Stores Of City Of Birmingham Education Department.
Oozells Square. On the east, the Ikon Gallery. This was Oozells Street School, by Martin & Chamberlain. 1877 in Ruskinian Gothic with east wing added 1898. The confined site dictated a compact three-storey block. Renewed sash windows, stone and tile tympana in pointed openings, typical naturalistic sculpture. Converted by Levitt Bernstein, 1997. They reinstated the tower, removed in the 1960s, to the original design, and added glass north and south extensions for lifts and stairs: tough additions to a tough building. Inside, new and old spaces flow intriguingly. New floors inserted in the main classrooms and hall, but 19th century roofs visible on the second floor. Big wooden arch braces and iron ties, but the 1898 wing has iron arches. New entrance in the north west turret, cut in awkwardly.
From Pevsner Architectural Guides: Birmingham by Andy Foster.