The painted clock on the Holy Ghost Church's facade is the oldest public timekeeper in Tallinn.
Church of Holy Ghost is the only sacred building from the 14th century in Tallinn that has preserved its original form.
The simple, humble Church of the Holy Ghost was completed in the 1360’s and, but for the exception of the baroque spire, it has retained its original medieval exterior.
The Church of the Holy Ghost holds an important place in Estonian cultural history: the first Estonian sermons were preached here, and the Livonian chronicler Balthasar Russow worked here as a teacher in the late 16th century.
Johann Koell, a pastor at the Church of the Holy Ghost, is considered
to be the author of the first Estonian book, a catechism published in
Tower bell, made in 1433, was the oldest in Estonia but in May 2002 was badly damaged in fire. The painted clock on its facade is the oldest public timekeeper in Tallinn.
The interior is richly decorated, a good example of wooden sculpture from the Gothic era. The altar, commissioned from Berndt Notke in 1483, is one of the four most precious Medieval works of art in Estonia.
Read more about Medieval Tallinn and its attractions
Photo by Tavi Grepp