~Winston S. Churchill
I've been tagged! And though Food Month Continues, I wanted to take a moment to thank all my Flickr friends for not only their incredible support, but for tagging me to learn a bit more. You guys are the best. But being as everyone has already seen who's behind the camera, I give you my heart instead of another selfie. OK, true, it's not actually my heart, but a delicious, heart-shaped sugar cookie. Still, it's the thought that counts. And the calories.
I've been tagged 3 or 4 times, so as to not bore everyone to tears, I chose only 20 random things about me to share:
1. I have always made my bed first thing in the morning--I feel it
sets the tone for the day; I also re-make it before bedtime to ensure
it has a tight, 4" military fold at the top.
2. Walking into an art supplies store makes my mouth water, literally. The smells, the textures, the colors...it's like Christmas morning.
3. My wife is the kindest, gentlest and most loving person I have ever met. Her heart is huge, her patience enormous, and her mind is brilliant. She is truly adored by all who know her, but none more than me.
4. I am a huge advocate of making detailed lists, with errands and tasks noted in the order in which they are to be performed (and/or by distance, complexity). Completed items are then checked off in Red Ultra-Fine Sharpie.
5. I write, draw, click and eat left-handed...shoot pucks, basketballs and skeet right-handed...and am ambidextrous when throwing or batting.
6. I strongly believe that organization and cleanliness bring tangible peace and clarity to your day, and to your life. Try it, you'll see--order calms the soul.
7. My managerial style is to never ask anyone to do something I
wouldn't do myself. I also pride myself on being the hardest-working
person in the room.
8. As I've mentioned, I can eat anything at anytime, particularly at breakfast. Example: cold Chinese food at 6:15am is good. Also, I prefer to enjoy dessert before my meal, and it never ruins my appetite. Lastly, if money is involved, I can consume ridiculous amounts of food in unbelievably short periods of time: 10 Arby's sandwiches in 10 minutes?--no problemo.
9. I started my own graphic design shop in my studio condo, and within 2.5 years grew it into multi-million dollar interactive business with several offices in Chicago's River North district. I sold it in 2006.
10. While in the 2nd grade, I was caught by my Aunt Audrey ducking out
of lunchtime recess to purchase licorice whips at Dot's Penny Candy,
one block away from the elementary school. Though it was my older (and
supposedly more responsible) sister's idea and I was simply her
lemming accomplice, I was harshly punished. Thanks, Jan.
11. I've played ice hockey since I was able to stand, yet waited until last year to painfully discover that rollerblading is NOTHING like skating on ice.
12. I have never attempted to, nor will I ever, take a single drag off a cigarette.
13. My father was in politics. He was Chief of Staff to the U.S. Congressman from Massachusetts' 12th district for five years. When Congress was in session, we lived in Silver Springs, Maryland (suburb of DC) and my dad worked at the U.S. Capitol (his office was in the Rayburn House Office Building). Later, my father ran for State Senator in Massachusetts, but lost.
14. I require cold temperatures around me at all times--accordingly, I
sleep with the window open throughout the winter and have a floor fan
blowing at full speed year-round (target room temperature: 60° F).
15. When I was 10 years-old, I experienced a brief 'Rain Man' period where I insisted on documenting every song, artist & chart position on the weekly 4-hour broadcast of American Top 40 for over a year. Blue spiral notebook, No. 2 pencil and Casey Kasem. Good times.
16. I cannot tolerate the sound of people chewing their food, particularly those that insist on carrying on a conversation while masticating (yes--you, Oprah).
17. Nothing brings me greater joy than dirtying my hands with
manual/mechanical labor: restoring vintage vehicles, assembling
anything, low-impact carpentry, etc. Nothing feels as prideful as
looking at something you've built using your own two hands.
18. As a daily practice, I try to take the time to engage meaningfully with every person I cross paths with, regardless of their or my station in life: business owner, colleague, delivery driver, health club attendant, family...I am genuinely interested in each, and I believe people respond in kind.
19. I am moved by the transportive allure of music, and can find inspiration in virtually any song or melody that has the power to reach you (people who don't find this quality in music likely have a hearing problem). However, if I'm photographing/designing/processing, I prefer more atmospheric music as the soundtrack. Current example: A Fine Frenzy. Classic example: Portishead.
20. I have talked to my Mom by phone every Sunday morning at 10:30am for the last 20+ years, and try to always end the call with her laughing.