A closer look at the former Syracuse Savings Bank. Now a little bit of history: When it was completed in 1876 it was the tallest structure in Syracuse, with a tower rising 170 feet. It was also the first office building in the city to be built with an elevator. Joseph Lyman Silsbee was the designer of the building. The building incorporates Gothic details along with steep roofs and windows with pointed arches. The pale buff Ohio sandstone of the walls is decorated with bands of red New Jersey sandstone between the floors and at the spring line of the window arches. Bank vaults and the elevator were in the tower. Banking rooms were in the basement and the first floor, offices were in the upper stories. The building has been renovated many times. Following the closing of the Erie Canal the interior was closed and rebuilt to reinforce the structure with steel framing. The Syracuse Savings Bank occupied the building for more than 100 years. It is now occupied by Bank of America. Located at 1 Clinton Square ( North Salina Street) in Syracuse, NY.