new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
8352 Towards the Klingel Farm | by lcm1863
Back to photostream

8352 Towards the Klingel Farm

From West Confederate Ave.

Gettysburg National Military Park

 

---------------------------------------------------------------

 

Daniel F. Klingel Farm

 

The Klingel Farm was occupied by both Union and Confederate forces during the Battle of Gettysburg. The outbuildings on the Klingel Farm supplement the only pre-Civil War structure on the property (farmhouse) that survived from the battle era. This farmstead is one of the smaller complexes on the battlefield. The collective massing of outbuildings and yards affected the battle as features useful for cover and concealment and as obstacles to organized movement.

 

House built in 1850, altered circa 1890’s, preserved 1998, rehabilitated 2002 and 2010-11. Original 2-story house with lean-to addition. Exterior bake oven. House has a stone foundation, log walls and shingle roof.

 

Also on the property is barn constructed in 1870. Barn is representative of small 19th-C Pennsylvania farm structure. Although the building post-dates 1863 Battle, it still falls within period of significance for park. It contributes to the integrity of the agricultural battlefield landscape by maintaining the historic spatial organization and cluster arrangement of the 1863 farmstead building complex. This post-1863 building serves as a placeholder for the building that was standing at the time of the battle.

 

Other buildings on the property which contribute the historic scene are an 1870 hog pen/chicken house/implement shed, and an 1890 smokehouse.

 

The buildings on the farm have undergone extensive restoration in 2010-2011, and are still ongoing. The farm is being restored to its 1863 collection. Post-war buildings and additions have been removed. The original logs of the farmhouse are now exposed and have been given a coat of white paint.

 

Info from NPS web site.

 

565 views
2 faves
2 comments
Taken on July 7, 2010