The Richardson Romanesque style Eugene Field School was built in 1909. The school was named for Field an writer known for children's poetry and humorous essays who died in 1895. The school board approved funds for the building in 1908, the date on the inlaid concrete panel above the door. The building has decorative detailing that includes the belt course arching at the entrance; projecting tower, capped with a pyramidal roof; upper tower belt course with bracketed supported eaves; tall transomed tower windows Most of these stylistic features are common to the Richardson Romanesque style.
When the photograph was taken in 1991 the building was used as a church. In more recent years, the building housed an antique business.