The world's largest electric clock is seen here at the old Singer Sewing Machine factory in Kilbowie Road, Clydebank, Dunbartonshire. The company produced millions of machines and sent them all over the world during their time in manufacturing. During World War 2 the factory went over to producing munitions. The factory opened in 1885 with 5000 workers and this increased to over 16,000 at its peak. The 200ft. clock tower's four faces, each weighing five tons, took four men 15 minutes, twice a week, to wind the mechanism up. The clock tower was demolished in 1963 and souvenir ashtrays were made out of the hands. By 1970 slowing demand and competition from Japan for sewing machines reduced the workforce to 5000 and in 1980 the factory closed.
This photo also appears in
keyboard shortcuts: ← previous photo → next photo L view in light box F favorite < scroll film strip left > scroll film strip right ? show all shortcuts