The German Pavilion for the 1929 International Exposition in Barcelona. Architect: Ludwig Mies van der Rohe (1886-1969). Location: Barcelona, Spain. The pavilion was disassembled in 1930.
The architects Ignasi de Solà-Morales, Cristian Cirici and Fernando Ramos were commisioned by the head of the urban Planning Department at the Barcelona City Council, Oriol Bohigas, to research, design and supervise the reconstruction of the Pavilion. Work began in 1983 and the new building was opened on its original site in 1986.
The bronze sculpture entitled Alba (Dawn) was chosen out of the existing work of Georg Kolbe by Mies van der Rohe. It was not designed for this pavilion, but remarkably fits very well in the pavilion's scale and spacial flow.