Image from page 200 of "Annual report" (1891)
Title: Annual report
Authors: Ontario. Dept. of Mines
Subjects: Mines and mineral resources
Contributing Library: Gerstein - University of Toronto
Digitizing Sponsor: University of Toronto
View Book Page: Book Viewer
About This Book: Catalog Entry
View All Images: All Images From Book
Click here to view book online to see this illustration in context in a browseable online version of this book.
Text Appearing Before Image:
ccupations, provision must be made for the changingof wet and dirty clothing, and the donning of comfortable and warm apparel for Btreet wear. Four change houses have been built, with a total of GOO lockers and with hot ami cold showersand lavatory accommodations. The Port Colborne refinery began operations last June, and when at full capacity willbe capable of a yearly production of about 15,000,000 lbs. of nickel and 8,000,000 lbs. efcopper. The engineers responsible for the installation have given special attention to the designand construction of the plant and to the possibilities of expansion, and have arranged theequipment in such a way that additions to machinery and equipment can be made in anefficient manner. The plant was built a1 a COSl of over $5,000,000. The result impresses the visitor andmakes him feel that not only is Canada—and Ontario in particular—to be congratulated onthe introduction of nickel refining upon a permanent basis, but that credit is also due to the
Text Appearing After Image:
[nternational Nickel Company of Canada, Port Colborne—Main power house, showing turboblowers running at 8,500 r.p.m., supplying air to the copper converters. Foundation Co., of Montreal and New York, as the main contractor responsible for the con-struction, and to The International Nickel Co. for the broad and liber:,] attitude shown inhaving this plant built undei the stress of war conditions. A description of the turbo-blower was published by W. Wotherspoon in theEngineering and Minimi Journal of May 17th, 1919, and is as follow The turbo-blowei is s pan of the mechanical equipment of the International Nickel Co.snew plant at Port Colborne, Ontario, Canada. The unit, which was furnished by the Bateau Battu-Smoot Company, New Fork, has acapacity of 15,000 eu. ft. of free air per min., delivered at 15 lbs. gauge pressure. The speedof 8,500 r.p.m. at which it operates is believed to be the highest attempted or attained for amachine of this capacity and type. The outside dimensions of
Note About Images
Please note that these images are extracted from scanned page images that may have been digitally enhanced for readability - coloration and appearance of these illustrations may not perfectly resemble the original work.