The Old Turmac Factory, Zevenaar
(best viewed in Large or Original size)
24 april, 2010, shot from our car
It looked almost like an episode of Scheherazade's 1001 Nights' when the Turk Kiazim Emin Bey arrived at the railway station of Zevenaar, travelling in a private train and surrounded by numerous attendants and cigarette smoking harem ladies. Bey and his Dutch business partner William Carel Buschhammer, a local tobacco merchant,
started a new tobacco factory in 1920. In those days many people grew tobacco in their gardens and farmers produced tobacco also but the Dutch product wasn't good enough for commercial use. Bey supplied tobacco from Turkey and Macedonia and that's the reason the factory was named The Turkish Macedonian Tobacco Company, locally better known as the Turmac factory.
Soon the Turmac cigarettes became quite famous. They had a gold colored mouthpiece and came in colorful packages with pictures of palaces of sultans and nonchalantly smoking women wearing a turbans.
After the second worldwar American and English cigarettes became populair in Holland and the image was changed. Old Mac became a populair brand. In 1960 the last Turmac cigarette was produced. Soon the factory restarted production for Rothman and produced cigarettes under license. In 1999 the company's name was changed into the British American Tobacco Manufacturing and produced cigarettes for the Dutch, German and French market. In 2008 the factory was closed.