Linderhof Palace, the "Royal Villa" of Ludwig II, originated as a hunting lodge belonging to his father Maximilian II - the "Königshäuschen". It was enlarged by Georg Dollmann between 1870 and 1872 with a U-shaped complex centred on the King's Bedchamber.
The bedroom was important to the ceremonial life of an absolute monarch; Louis XIV of France used to give his first (léver) and last audience (coucher) of the day in his bedchamber. In imitation of Versailles, the bedroom is the largest chamber of Linderhof Palace. By facing north, however, the Linderhof bedroom inverts the symbolism of its Versailles counterpart, showing Ludwig's self-image as a "Night-King."
The chandelier is a glass candelabra and has 108 candles.