Happy Ugadi :) [Explored]
- Canon 1000D + Sigma 17-70mm
- These are fresh ladyfingers @ Mysore Vegetable Market
Yugadi (from yuga + aadi, yuga means era, aadi means start- the start of an era) is the New Year's Day for the people of the Deccan region of India.
While the people of Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh use the term Yugadi/Ugadhi for this festival, the people of Maharashtra term the same festival, observed on the same day, Gudi Padwa. Sindhis, people from Sindh, celebrate the same day as their New Year day Cheti Chand.
The South Indians celebrate the festival with great fanfare and gatherings of the extended family. The day, begins with ritual showers (oil bath) followed by prayers, and then the eating of a specific mixture of -
• Neem Buds/Flowers for bitterness
• Raw Mango for tang
• Tamarind Juice for sourness
• Green Chilli/Pepper for heat
• Jaggery and ripe banana pieces for sweetness
• Pinch of Salt for saltiness