The "older" I get as a photographer, the less I feel compelled to say outside of pictures. But here are a few things:
I like dancing... or rather I like motion, but I am not a good dancer. So I look for choreography in my images instead...whatever that means.
I like dreaming too, when I am not thinking too much.
I used to learn everything I could to make my photos as technically perfect as possible. These days I find myself going out of my way to mess them up a tad.
Color outside the lines.
I love film. What greater reason do I need than that?
Experience and knowledge are fine companions, but I am quite fond of chance and serendipity too.
My day job is at a camera store. It's one of the most awesome jobs I could have. If you get tired of internet stalking me, I can be found most days of the week at Blue Moon Camera in the St. Johns neighborhood of Portland, Oregon.
Speaking of internet stalking, I can be found on my personal website: www.zebandrews.com as well as Facebook.
Also if you would really like, please peruse my books. Perhaps even buy one. I promise that the proceeds will go toward the making of more photography.
Eiffel 7x7 by Zeb Andrew
Bridgetown by Zeb Andrews
at petal's edge: the secret lives of flowers by Zeb Andrews
Sand by Zeb Andrews
The St. Johns Bridge by Zeb Andrews
I also lead several workshops every year through The Newspace Center for Photography
- Without a Lens 8,644 photos, 358 members
- Film is God Official Flickr Group. 26,006 photos, 1,190 members
- Film is Awesome! 378,612 photos, 10,604 members
- France image 326,165 photos, 11,664 members
- France 251,911 photos, 6,803 members
- Mont Saint Michel 5,759 photos, 1,019 members
- Moonbeams Kiss the Sea (Film Only!) 1,934 photos, 868 members
- CHRISTMAS*A Magical time of the year* 13,606 photos, 2,227 members
- Bokeh Photography (1/day) 166,690 photos, 12,330 members
- Fremont Bridge, Portland 155 photos, 19 members
- фотопленка 1,631 photos, 609 members
- Hasselblad Users Group 118,612 photos, 4,843 members
- *FILM* Club 186,213 photos, 2,990 members
- Kodak Ektar 100 54,109 photos, 5,441 members
- International Kodak Film Photography Day 269 photos, 133 members
- PDX Bridge Festival 360 photos, 21 members
- Broadway Bridge • Portland Oregon 183 photos, 34 members
- Portland-Milwaukie Light Rail Bridge 253 photos, 27 members
- Cherry blossoms 桜 42,500 photos, 4,918 members
- pinhole trees 2,275 photos, 263 members
- Flickr Friday 7,569 photos, 11,972 members
- Vietnam Veterans 4,487 photos, 228 members
- Vietnam Veterans Things 5,335 photos, 411 members
- Analog Bokeh 30,565 photos, 1,426 members
- Olympus XA Users Collective 68,106 photos, 6,279 members
- Pentacon Six 29,355 photos, 2,571 members
- film.landscapes 346 photos, 58 members
- Analog Photography 1,501,192 photos, 33,595 members
- Wedding Photography 222,970 photos, 45,966 members
- Portland's Bancorp Tower 194 photos, 22 members
- Ladder to the Stars 20,214 photos, 2,270 members
- the resurrection of film: film is back 19,264 photos, 713 members
- Twilight Hall 784 photos, 239 members
- lo-fi film highs! █████ 36,543 photos, 868 members
- Seattle vs. Portland Pinhole Smackdown 391 photos, 22 members
- Beautiful Scenic Northwest 934 photos, 46 members
- Square Scotland 9,207 photos, 414 members
- Sensitive-to-Light 913 photos, 140 members
- Film nature and landscape photography 566 photos, 125 members
- real edinburgh 17,568 photos, 1,040 members
- Hasselblad 500 Series 57,807 photos, 3,599 members
- Scotland 396,304 photos, 14,937 members
- Scotland in Picture 171,094 photos, 4,217 members
- Unreal Edinburgh 3,873 photos, 640 members
- Edinburgh 103,020 photos, 4,827 members
- Mortal Muses ~ Film Friday 5,057 photos, 286 members
- 120PDX 1,243 photos, 45 members
- Phototherm Film Processors 12 photos, 26 members
- 6x6 -COLOR- *120Film ONLY* NO Toycamera, NO X-Processed 134,561 photos, 5,684 members
- Land Empire 1,163 photos, 1,398 members
"Zeb is king ______ of ______ Mountain....and a master yogurt thief to boot. I can't think of anyone I'd rather have apply my lip balm or feed me Tums."
16th January, 2012
Tanner Volz says:
"Zeb is ridiculously gifted and a seriously nice dude to boot."
29th March, 2011
"Zeb is the kind of photographer who inspires me and others to try new things. His photos are not only stunning in their own way, but creative and inspiring. His captions are always full of helpful tips, wise lessons to be learned and fun little stories. Zeb is quite the guy and every time I have the pleasure to go out shooting with him, I learn something new and exciting. He has wonderful insights and is enjoyable company to be around. I was so excited when I learned how to set my timer for long exposure star trails… I’m really looking forward to summer and trying it out again.
Zeb has this way of seeing the world from different angles and in different ways. He is a master of the art and I look forward to more photograph postings, classes and lessons in the future. Thank you Zeb for being a real inspiration and a great guy!"
13th January, 2011
Blue Mitchell says:
11th July, 2010
chaybert (Brian Rueb) says:
"Zeb is one of my favorite photographers, not just on flickr. The fact he's constantly with a camera has developed his sense of seeing to another level. I can always rely on his photography to educate me on different film types, as well as the philosophy of photography...and when you can be educated, enlightend, and left going "wow, I never thought about that before..."...well, that's something worth checking
into often. And Zeb is a heck of a nice guy to boot.
I look forward to Zeb's photos, philosophy, and hopefully going out photographing some day."
14th July, 2008
time for a new beginning says:
"Every time I think I've seen the best Zeb's ever made, he uploads something even better. Every upload makes my jaw drop all over again..."
8th May, 2008
"People like Zeb are what make flickr such a great resource. Here you have access to a true artist, one who combines technical proficiency with an amazing eye for beauty. What's even greater is that he is very generous and always a teacher, lending helpful advice to strangers. Thanks Zeb and keep up the good work."
25th March, 2008
"Many people understand their camera well enough to make good photos. Zeb seems to have cameras understand HIM. Each camera he uses finds a way to express Zeb's own photographic vision. His photostream is filled with beautiful landscapes and the occasional compelling portrait."
15th December, 2007
"I feel zeb is a friend even though I don’t really know him. He has a warmth and honesty that I like and I truly feel that I have lots in common with him even though he is on the other side of the world... ho his images are imaginative, creative and a true inspiration. He is one of those shining lights in life...a good guy!"
25th November, 2007
inger klekacz says:
"Zeb and i were destined to be friends. which is lucky for me, because if it weren't for my friendship with him, i'd be a helluva lot dumber when it comes to technique.
the man is a paragon of persistence and photographic flexibility. whenever i'm out of my comfort zone or bored with the way i'm shooting, i try to channel just a little Zeb. and voila. something new. and usually better than what i was doing before."
19th October, 2007
Scott Reither says:
"I find myself continually coming back to view your work. You have a distinct aesthetic that many photographers never find. Your images are not only beautiful but connect with the viewer on an emotional level which is key for a successful photograph. Much of your work also reminds the many that it is not about fancy cameras and expensive glass, but about creative vision and the artists eye. Love your work!"
27th July, 2007
"Zeb is a real inspiration to me. He creates atmospheric eye candy for the soul, he captures the beauty of the Pacific Northwest so well. I look forward to every image he posts, keep up the great work!"
18th June, 2007
"I love Zeb's photos. They're so completely unique, but tied together by that uniqueness to make a definite, inscrutable style that is simply fabulous. I fell in love with his photostream through a couple of his Ranier pictures, then found so many other sights to see that I lost sense of time. He goes to many of my favorite places, yet sees them in ways I've never thought of.
He is also a huge inspiration to Portland's photographers, and a great guy who can be showered with questions and won't complain (sorry, Zeb).
Thanks for sharing your photos, Zeb. I can't wait to see hundreds more as time goes forward."
25th February, 2007
" If it wasn't for Zeb I don't know if I would have ever found my passion for photography. I grew up around photography, but never took it up. Until I walked into Blue Moon. Jake, Josie, and Zeb all jumped to know my name, and help me out with my endless questions. To this day Zeb's photos and outlook on his art is a great influence on me. Zeb has given me allot of confidence to pursue my photography. I could not thank him enough."
25th January, 2007
[ CK ] says:
"Zeb sees and captures things most people walk by unoticed. I am a true fan of his pinhole work and It is my pleasure to see the world through his creative vision..."
23rd January, 2007
"Great photos to see here!"
29th November, 2006
"It's like this: some people just take pictures to record a scene as it is. Some people take them to reveal to others that moment in its fullest. And then there are those that show us a moment or a scene that was there all along, but that was not visible except through the working of our imaginations. This is what Zeb does. It's like he's writing books, entire short stories and novels about these gorgeous places and moments that we wouldn't otherwise have known were there, except through his vision and photos. In short, Zeb's photography is eye-opening, exciting and incredibly inspiring. And, personally, I thank him greatly for it."
24th September, 2006
"I noticed Zeb's stream almost immediately after he became a member. I can remember thinking, 'wow, this is something different and unique!' Ever since I've been admiring his wonderful pinhole and inverted lens creations. In addition to being a very gifted and technically accomplished photographer, his commentary is always enlightening, whether it be on his or your stream.
Thanks Z for all the inspiration and knowledge you have shared. You are a great asset to Flickr and It is a pleasure to know you!"
21st August, 2006
"A highly precisive camera eye. Z.s picture 'The Tower" is a classic. Willing to spend time thinking about a shot. Understands motion across the plate. Produces great images."
13th July, 2006
- Zeb Andrews
- November 2005
- Portland, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Zeb Andrews Photography