I have looked at many thousands of photos on Flickr, and have had the joy of seeing numerous beautiful compositions. Thanks to all for sharing so many interesting views.
I am a PhD student at the University of British Columbia in the forest sciences. I also have a strong interest in writing, illustration and photography, with professional publications in all three of these areas. I have had several stories and scores of illustrations published in the magazine Analog Science Fiction and Fact. Recent photo credits include a number of images in the 2009 book Weather of the Pacific Northwest by Cliff Mass.
Photography for me is first a means of documenting the world in which I live, and second an art. I do not believe that every photo needs to meet a specific set of artistic or technical criteria to be interesting. In fact one thought that I tend to work by is, “There is only one rule in art: That there are no rules save the limitations you put on yourself (and, of course, those imposed by physical reality).” Also, a composition is a set of compromises. No single image can be “perfect” in the sense of having every variable exactly the way they are desired to be. Something akin to “perfect”, or “beauty”, may be found in the balance and tension between opposing forces in the composition.
Among the many subjects that I photograph, I especially enjoy capturing images of weather, landscapes, avians, arthropods and botanical specimens. I have a particular fondness for black-capped and chestnut-backed chickadees, as well as corvids, and spend a fair amount of my photographic effort on these birds. Dragonflies, ants and a host of Pacific Coast vegetation are also under the gaze of my lens quite frequently.
Sometimes I approach photography from a very artistic sense. At these times, the subject does not matter.
Thanks much for viewing. All my photographs are copyrighted. Please respect copyright law. I am open to sharing my images, especially for educational purposes--please just ask. Quality prints of these images are also for sale. Cards, framed prints, posters and calendars of many of the images in my photostream (plus more) are for sale on RedBubble (link below). Publishers and others who wish to use these photos, and/or are interested in hiring me for commissions feel free to contact me via e-mail. I can be reached at (spam-protected e-mail): [wolfread]_at _ mac[dot]com.
Thank you much for visiting my photostream.
- UBCBG Botany Photo of the Day 33,568 photos, 947 members
- Beautiful Birds 157,483 photos, 4,277 members
- Hard to Duplicate (Post 1, Award 3) 5,580 photos, 632 members
- Canon EOS 60D 124,929 photos, 3,912 members
- Amazing Weather (Skies, Nature, Places) 27,444 photos, 1,197 members
- 60D Nature Photography 8,601 photos, 392 members
- Great Photography, in Marc's opinion 241 photos, 1,132 members
- Winged Water Wonders (Post 1 - Comment 1) 77,812 photos, 3,642 members
- Transportation 150,636 photos, 1,066 members
- 50mm (The original 50mm group) 976,454 photos, 49,038 members
- Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II 248,316 photos, 18,785 members
- This Museum Called Canada 5,781 photos, 113 members
- Beautiful B. C. 7,358 photos, 157 members
- Dragonfly & Damselfly Moments 42,147 photos, 4,197 members
- Vancouver Sights 1,383 photos, 64 members
- Vancouver Transit 17,102 photos, 858 members
- A Real Gem! - Post One ~ Award Three - 10,000+ Members Strong! 355,668 photos, 12,226 members
- Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival 679 photos, 108 members
- Nature's Beautiful Photography - COLOR ONLY - INVITE ONLY P1 - 31,167 photos, 2,494 members
- Documenting the Human Life 16,552 photos, 400 members
- Flickr Hacks 445 photos, 18,250 members
- Birds Photos 1,306,550 photos, 52,726 members
- Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM 10,547 photos, 838 members
- Vancouver,Vancouver 4,643 photos, 179 members
- "Winged Wonders"-- Birds Only-- Invite Only (Post 1, Award 2) 40,801 photos, 4,983 members
- Getty Images Call for Artists 428,718 photos, 102,798 members
- a day in the life of 4 November 293 photos, 306 members
- The shots you missed!-The best of the worst! 6 photos, 9 members
- NATURE IN PURE STATE (POST AND COMENT 2) 28,504 photos, 1,485 members
- Oh, Canada 8,922 photos, 174 members
- Shield Of Excellence - Level 1 (p1/a5) 409,174 photos, 39,368 members
- Canada from Sea to Sea 259,966 photos, 7,834 members
- Spectacular Animals-Invited Photos Only 84,443 photos, 9,914 members
- Animal Planet 685,144 photos, 57,908 members
- Field Guide: Mammals of North America 1,796 photos, 140 members
- Best of Squirrels 6,413 photos, 2,076 members
- squirrels 67,532 photos, 9,834 members
- Cats Cats Cats 368,439 photos, 25,732 members
- Field Guide: Birds of British Columbia, Canada 40,950 photos, 950 members
- Northwest Birders 15,624 photos, 272 members
- Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L & (IS) USM 88,958 photos, 7,944 members
- Bird Perfect/Each Photo By Invite Only 10,881 photos, 2,024 members
- Excellence In Avian Photography (EIAP) -- INVITED IMAGES (2/day) 67,810 photos, 8,272 members
- Darting Dragonflies 1,345 photos, 171 members
- "Quality Only" Bird Club 12,026 photos, 1,489 members
- Views: 100 689,564 photos, 22,274 members
- CBC Radio 3 63,637 photos, 1,763 members
- *Nature* (2 Comments/Photo W/Code) 339,648 photos, 24,143 members
- Citizen Science: Great Blue Heron (please read the rules) 11,698 photos, 1,539 members
- Birding Photography: Gear and Places 184 photos, 45 members
frosty_white_raven doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Wolf Read
- June 2009
- Vancouver, Canada
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- frosty_white_raven's RebBubble site