My real passion is photography. I take my own photographs - mainly plants and portraits - but increasingly my Flickr photostream is made up of my vintage photograph collection.
What I do
By day ...I'm currently looking for my next challenge, but my passions lie in cultural collections and data, and delivering high quality digital experiences - websites, mobile apps etc. Until very recently I maneged the website development team at Kew Gardens, sitting behind a computer, in an office, but in a place with flowers, beautiful landscapes, and more heritage than you can possibly imagine. It gave me the chance to play with Flickr professionally too, but I spent most working hours yearning to get out there with the camera and truly appreciate what is just beyond the office door.
In my own time... I collect vintage photographs, and share them on Flickr for all to see, to enjoy, and hopefully to identify. I am also slowly developing my What's That Picture? website and you can follow me on Twitter - @PhotosOfThePast
What I want to do
What I would love is a job that combines my passion for vintage photography and social history with my skills, experience and vision in creating engaging websites - if you're reading this and are hiring, give me a shout!
What I do on Flickr
In any spare time I might have left I love sharing my photos and participating in the whole vintage photograph community on Flickr and I run several groups, of which the most notable are ...
Vintage Photographs (pre-1945) [Directory]
If you're going to go anywhere, go here. It's a 'meta-group' with a listing of all the vintage photograph groups I have ever encountered on Flickr, arranged by categories. Something for everyone!
Geotagged : Vintage photographs
A single place in which to find, and map, all the geotagged vintage images on Flickr. Help to create a historic photographic map of the world.
Vintage Dated Photographs
A single place in which we can create a timeline of vintage photographs and photography. The group uniquely combines images from personal collectors through to major instituional collections in one place.
- See the interactive timeline from the Vintage Dated Photographs group
- I've also created a timeline of all pre-1900 Flickr Commons images
What's that picture?
A place to unravel mysteries. I have a personal fascination for mystery vintage photographs, and if you have any of your own I would encourage you to add them to this group. Who knows, if you get them identified you can then move them on to the Astonishing Power of Flickr group, where you can see some great examples of Flickr photos that have been located, dated, named, and all sorts of other information discovered about them!
And finally, here are some of what other users deem to be my best bits
Get detailled Flickr stats with Statsr.net
Photos of whatsthatpicture (12)
- Vintage Museum Pictures (pre 1945) 10 photos, 1 member
- Vintage Museum Interiors 2 photos, 1 member
- Eastway Cycle Circut 128 photos, 7 members
- Lacock Abbey and village, home of William Henry Fox Talbot 150 photos, 12 members
- Statsr 23 photos, 192 members
- CLASSIC TIME TRIAL BICYCLES & CLASSIC STEEL TRACK BIKES 1,320 photos, 317 members
- My Cycling Heritage 27 photos, 4 members
- Escaleras/Stairs 41,477 photos, 7,148 members
- Generations of Style 13 photos, 21 members
- Johnstone & O'Shannessy & Co, Melbourne. Mid 1860's-1905 45 photos, 9 members
- Location Hunters 897 photos, 82 members
- The Portal of Peripatetic Pants. 74 photos, 45 members
- ARKive - images of life on Earth 52,660 photos, 1,250 members
- Your Faces of the First World War 2,224 photos, 350 members
- Dead Teddies 258 photos, 114 members
- Hello Little Fella! 1,413 photos, 405 members
- Your Best Shot 2012 6,166 photos, 7,135 members
- London Cycle Hire Scheme 517 photos, 123 members
- Boris Bikes 311 photos, 52 members
- flickrock.com 194 photos, 54 members
- The lady and the plane 98 photos, 7 members
- Guardian Datastore 1,113 photos, 1,695 members
- Singlespeed/Fixed Gear Bicycles 52,247 photos, 6,114 members
- Science, Technology, History 24,506 photos, 915 members
- canon film photography 150,083 photos, 9,208 members
- 19th Century Canadian Photographs 507 photos, 17 members
- Outside the Studio 1,372 photos, 46 members
- Contemporary Daguerreotypes 192 photos, 122 members
- MuseumNext Barcelona 314 photos, 14 members
- flickr (unofficial) 1,520,940 photos, 78,272 members
- Preston Guild (past and present) 5,503 photos, 65 members
- The Rule Of Thirds Showcase 3,374 photos, 515 members
- Rule of Thirds Showcase 23 photos, 5 members
- Flickr Ideas 1 photo, 11,942 members
- Early Ealing Photographers 35 photos, 3 members
- Hong Kong Historic Buildings 香港歷史建築 4,461 photos, 393 members
- Back Yard Photos 7,328 photos, 170 members
- Vintage Cyclists 563 photos, 126 members
- Old Picture Post Cards of People and Places 2,090 photos, 43 members
- Early Photography in Romania 247 photos, 56 members
- It's Only a Paper Moon 240 photos, 244 members
- Hungarian women 1850-1920 1,604 photos, 49 members
- Funny Found Photos 919 photos, 76 members
- Faded Photographs 8,055 photos, 140 members
- Eyeglasses in Vintage Photography 550 photos, 57 members
- Emulating Frith 63 photos, 5 members
- Danske Visitkortfoto / Danish Cabinet Cards 12 photos, 10 members
- cyanotype 1,660 photos, 472 members
- Civil War Era Portraits 1,891 photos, 174 members
- Chinatown Time Travel USA 879 photos, 139 members
whatsthatpicture doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- June 2006
- Hanwell, London, UK
- I am:
- Website Manager