What started as a side-project, photographing my urban exploration trips has taken on a life of its own. I think I've hit a middle ground, where I've become a picture-taking tourist in my own city, although not of everyday touristy things. Not quite street-photography, I describe my pictures as being city-detail oriented. The term 'urban fragment' more than often suits my pictures just fine.
My other goal is to visit places in NYC's 5 boroughs where people rarely venture, and bring back pictures seldom seen by anyone except the locals. If a non-native New Yorker looks at one of my shots and says "That's in NYC!?!", I've succeeded at this task. If a local person can do the same and say "Where the heck is that!?!", I also get a warm fuzzy feeling.
This picture-taking thing is just a hobby; I have a 50-hour workweek, and most often barely have the time to change the battery in my camera before running out the door and sqeezing in another photoshoot.
I'm currently using a Nikon D300, although some older pictures (and occasional hard-to-get new ones) are from my old Nikon D70s or p&s Nikon 4300.
- Working Harbor Photo Pool 344 photos, 22 members
- Leica X1 Bryant Park Grand Photo Safari 380 photos, 43 members
- GWNYC mods 3 photos, 9 members
- Brooklyn Botanic Garden Visitors 13,344 photos, 1,014 members
- NYBG Group 20,142 photos, 632 members
- B&H Photo 37,117 photos, 6,232 members
- Seaside Decay 2,936 photos, 447 members
- NYC Exploring / LTV Group 165 photos, 18 members
- A View Looking UP! 23,653 photos, 1,098 members
- Weiss/Manfredi 78 photos, 10 members
- Urban Omnibus 78 photos, 59 members
- Light Painting Competitions and Themes 534 photos, 1,266 members
- Bokeh Light (outfocus light) 14,944 photos, 2,245 members
- Wire Wool 4,887 photos, 802 members
- Highland Park, Rochester, NY 2,232 photos, 85 members
- Favorites: 500 82 photos, 102 members
- Redheads! 11,085 photos, 5,760 members
- Rochester Architecture 1,674 photos, 143 members
- Fruits and Vegetables (fresh and uncooked) 44,083 photos, 7,539 members
- "Urban Wandering" 28,785 photos, 1,216 members
- FishEye 130,370 photos, 13,009 members
- Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye 13,891 photos, 1,307 members
- Favorites: 150 1,081 photos, 879 members
- Favorites: 175 428 photos, 510 members
- Favorites: 100 5,338 photos, 2,443 members
- Favorites: 90 1,496 photos, 1,246 members
- NYC Bellydance 531 photos, 24 members
- Lensbaby 73,669 photos, 9,337 members
- 28 Days Later 79,768 photos, 2,707 members
- Beauty of Decay / Schönheit des Verfalls 52,874 photos, 1,429 members
- URBEX JUNKIES 39,477 photos, 811 members
- NYC HDR 2,342 photos, 119 members
- The Flickr Consulate 1,848 photos, 168 members
- "LAPP" Light Art Performance Photography 7,303 photos, 560 members
- Ellis Island 464 photos, 92 members
- Favorites: 300 939 photos, 353 members
- The Consolidated City: New York City 1,436 photos, 90 members
- Favorites: 80 2,113 photos, 1,516 members
- Favorites: 250 769 photos, 473 members
- Views: 10000 4,704 photos, 3,211 members
- Waterfalls Around the World 71,902 photos, 10,891 members
- Waterfalls 119,789 photos, 16,002 members
- Fireworks 75,583 photos, 19,862 members
- Fireworks - Just Fireworks 105,268 photos, 16,402 members
- The decayed and the abandoned 96,113 photos, 2,246 members
- Art Meets Photography 92,716 photos, 3,647 members
- The Pritzker Architecture Prize on Flickr (Post 1 - Award 4) 109,063 photos, 13,305 members
- TWA Terminal at JFK 164 photos, 51 members
- Fort Totten Artistic Photographs 165 photos, 26 members
- Abandoned New York State 16,531 photos, 642 members
"The outstanding quality of Pro-Zak's photography constantly amazes and astounds. The incredible variety of his work alone is enough to keep viewers hungering for more; add to that the talent-rich processing, his eye for a shot and his ability to share his artistic vision and you have nothing less than photographic genius.
'Zak's passion for this art encompasses everyone with whom he interacts. His deep-seated passion for sharing technique, photo-worthy subjects, and to encourage growth among his cohorts makes him a highly sought-after photographic companion. Constantly seeking to push this art into new realms, he thirsts for new and unique challenges. Keep it coming, Pro-Zak!"
11th November, 2009
James Hanlon says:
"In my opinion, the name Timothy (just call me Pro-Zac) Vogel will soon, if not already, be associated with the names of other legends of urban photography. His work is art presented in a compelling and seducing manner that documents the contemporary urban scene with creative grittiness and unrelenting talent that I am sure will inspire many future generations of urban photographers.
Tim's photo-stream will take the viewer into places that go unseen by most New Yorkers! - luckily for all of us, the urban jungle is no match for the determination and drive that this fearless photographer abundantly possesses - that is why you will find his view of life around him as being kinetic, dynamic, poetic, dramatic and, at all times, truly inspiring!!!"
27th July, 2008
"Pro-Zak, the king of Queens. No location where he hasn't been in the NYC area. He really has the ability of finding the most out of the way and secluded locations and captures them with so much enthusiasm that you can simply feel it by looking at his pictures. Can't wait to go back to NYC to go on another Urbex trip. Cheers, Soup."
30th October, 2007
Loon Man says:
"Pro-Zak is almost an activist when it comes to photography, in the sense that he actively searches out new neighborhoods on a regular basis, usually having an idea of what he'll find, but always finding something new. It could be gritty, it could be architectural - - but it's usually great urban photography.
He does not have a cat, and so, no cat shots. I have yet to see a bee in a flower in his stream, either. Nor babies. Those last three are pretty high up on my list of qualifications for a Flickr contact."
2nd August, 2007
Sven Bosman says:
"As a great industrial / urban / port lover its no surprise that i check Pro-Zak's stream every day!
Simply great shots with an eye for details....
The NYC industrial region is very simular with old western Europe cities where i like to shoot.
Keep up the good work!"
19th July, 2006
- Timothy Vogel
- September 2005
- Rochester, NY
- Queens, NY
- I am: