"All animals, except man, know that the principal business of life is to enjoy it..."
Hello curious visitor!
I'm Nicholas, from Belgium.
(yes the chocolate and waffle country)
I've created this Flickr account in 2007 because of my growing interest in photography. I've always been a creative boy in various ways, but now I have found a great endless possibility to express my visions and feelings.
I like to experiment with original ideas and compositions,
I'm a perfectionist with great patience
and an enjoyer of life and its little details... :)
Though some of my digital macro shots might look unrealistic to you, all of them are 100% real and no Photoshop was used to edit them, except for some white balance or contrast issues, or to remove dust on the macro filters.
Since April 2008 I've started doing analogue photography as well. It's so exciting and charismatic! To me, it feels like the 'real' photography.
Overall, the main thing that matters is that I'm having a lot of fun making these shots and I hope I can put a smile on your face every now and then.
Thanks for dropping by!
Feel free to ask me anything!
• Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Sigma AF 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM
• Canon EOS 400D
EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II + EF 50mm f/1.8 II + Sonia macro filters + Canon RC-1 Remote Control
• Samsung NX10
30mm f/2 pancake + 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
• Canon Digital IXUS 65
• Lomo LC-A (1986)
• Lomography Spinner
• Mamiya NC1000S (1977?)
35mm f/2.8 + 50mm f/1.7 + 135mm f/2.8
• Asahi Pentax Spotmatic II ("Pete" 1971-76?)
SMC Takumar lenses: Super 28mm f1/3.5 + Macro 50mm f1/4 + 55mm f1/2 + 85mm f1/1.8 + Super 135mm f1/2.5 + 200mm f1/4 + 85-210mm f1/4.5
• Olympus OM-2N (silver) ("Lora" 1974?) & Olympus OM-2N (black) ("Ichiyuro" 1974?)
Zuiko 50mm f1/1.8 + Zuiko 28mm f1/2.8 + Vivitar 28mm f1/2.8
• Agfa Billy Record 4.5 (1945)
• Hasselblad 500C/M ("Berry" 1975)
Carl Zeiss Planar 80mm f/2.8 Planar C T* (1980) + A12 back (1974) + C16 back (1966) + waist level viewfinder + extension tube 21
• Rolleiflex 3.5E ("Julie" 1957-59?)
• Seagull 4A-103 ("Charlie" 1964)
• Yashica Electro 35 GX Black ("Nobby" 1975)
• Polaroid 636 Close Up (1996)
Polaroid 779 film
Hama Tripod Star 700 EF Digital + Sekonic L-308S Flashmate + Holga 120 Flash + ColorSplash flash + Polaroid Pogo printer
• Unused or collectibles
Yashica C ("Simone"), Coronet Rex box camera, Minox 35 EL, Praktica MTL 5, Pentax Zoom 105 Super, Minolta Riva Zoom 105EX, Kodak Brownie 127, disposable cameras, Gossen Sixtry light meter, Class 2 Hit camera, Canon FTb, Polaroid Colorpack 80, Petri 35E, Contina with Zeiss Ikon lens, Yashica Lynx 5000E, Rollei 121BC flash, Voigtländer Brillant...
• Wish list
Leica M2, Polaroid SX-70 or SLR 680/690, Hasselblad Acute Matte screen with grid,...
• JPG Magazine
Feel free to contact me:
- Your Best Shot 2012 6,100 photos, 6,988 members
- Project Weather 144,309 photos, 37,036 members
- Analog Photography 1,504,748 photos, 33,681 members
- Canon EOS 5D Mark II and EOS 5D Mark III Group 622,590 photos, 23,768 members
- Polaroid Land Camera 43,272 photos, 4,944 members
- inspiring mountains. 6,299 photos, 886 members
- ColorPerfect (ColorNeg) User Group 2,345 photos, 303 members
- Your Best Shot 2011 12,618 photos, 14,514 members
- COLLECTIONS ON DISPLAY 4,006 photos, 555 members
- Vintage Camera Museum 8,783 photos, 1,116 members
- Booooooom.com! 278,258 photos, 16,705 members
- Gordy Camera Strap Owners Club 1,327 photos, 1,197 members
- Spinner 360 3,866 photos, 660 members
- CHARITY PRINT AUCTIONS - PHILIPPINES 0 photos, 1,404 members
- Illustration 497,189 photos, 32,959 members
- Loving Draw 2,047 photos, 132 members
- Character Design 98,753 photos, 7,432 members
- Lomography UK 21,582 photos, 1,443 members
- flickr Japan 778,152 photos, 16,546 members
- Mamiya 35mm 4,832 photos, 463 members
- Agfa Billy 389 photos, 115 members
- ♬ 手紙舎 ┃Tegamisha ♫ 803 photos, 199 members
- The Olympus OM Crew , aka The Cult of Zuiko 59,267 photos, 3,396 members
- 3.000+ Faves 7 photos, 28 members
- Public Transport Project 147 photos, 21 members
- MONOCLE 1,310 photos, 179 members
- Hasselblad 234,688 photos, 11,588 members
- 66graphy. 56,873 photos, 1,283 members
- Kodak Expired Film 16,513 photos, 1,423 members
- burn, burn, burn! (start/end of film shots) 1,279 photos, 512 members
- FlickrCentral 7,012,063 photos, 204,497 members
- Vintage Analogue 243,913 photos, 6,783 members
- I Shoot Fuji (FILM) 308,705 photos, 13,346 members
- Portra [Kodak Portra Film] 122,750 photos, 9,814 members
- MOO (MiniCards, Business Cards & More, Printed by MOO) 14,751 photos, 13,261 members
- Nerd characters 65 photos, 75 members
- 6x6. 223,792 photos, 6,325 members
- gentblogt 3,152 photos, 232 members
- Photowalk Belgium 17,301 photos, 557 members
- flexplore 5 photos, 475 members
- lomokev books in the wide 167 photos, 115 members
- Dutch Film Group - Ja wij gebruiken nog steeds film! 13,980 photos, 387 members
- Flickr Clock 4,086 photos, 2,690 members
- Twin Lens Reflex 174,437 photos, 15,500 members
- Seagull TLR 15,408 photos, 1,970 members
- Medium Format (film only) 690,775 photos, 27,461 members
- Lomo Sticker 10 photos, 16 members
- The Film Fanciers’ Guild 206,659 photos, 5,810 members
- fd's Flickr Toys 34,554 photos, 15,798 members
- Best Timelapse Videos (Video Group)! 1,028 photos, 319 members
"Ukaaa's work and sense of creativity are quite unique on Flickr. I really like the way he catches light and simple things of life. He makes them beautiful and/or funny. Some of his shot made some of my days! Thank you Belgium. You invented 'french fries' (hum, not quite sure about that huh?), wafles, you make unique chocolates and beers, but you also have a top, humble and friendly photographer! Hope I can have the opportunity to hang out and shoot with him some day :))"
19th January, 2012
"nicholas has always been a great inspiration to me since i began fiddling with flickr. his talent has easily garnered himself the #1 Belgian Photographer Award in my list, but then again, hes the only Belgian i know hahaha
despite meeting only this avenue of similar interests, i can say this guy is a good man. its not very often that you meet people with that quality that is engaging and honest, and nic has it. i look forward to the day that we get to meet and shoot together in person, and im sure if it does happen it would be prettttty epic."
25th June, 2010
- ♥ Cherie ♥ - says:
"Congratulation on having one million views!! I really enjoy viewing Nicholas's photostream. He is full of fun ideas, talented and super friendly! Hope one day I can have a chance shoot with him!"
16th March, 2010
"His lifestyle is very cool!His pic always gives me stimulation!"
24th June, 2009
"Nicholas' stream should be right next to the word: UNIQUE in the dictionary.
What a genius !
11th March, 2009
"ukaaa’s photo work is unlike anyone else on Flickr. His creativity blows my mind! It’s the reason he has appeared in JPG Mag in back to back issues. Even with all the attention his work gets, he is a very down to earth and cool guy. I am glad to have made friends with him on Flickr and hopefully hang out and shoot with him someday. =)"
6th February, 2009
"Wow - that's pretty much my reaction every time I see one of ukaaa's thumbnails show up in my contact list. Crap - that's usually what I say right after I actually click on one of his thumbnails to reveal the full measure of his creative genius. I'm stunned at the talent, creativity and effort put into a huge majority of his images. Ugh - if I were half that good at his age. He's gonna go all the way!!! And to top off all of that - he's a super-nice and very encouraging Flickr pal. What more can you ask for?"
14th May, 2008
Hani Amir says:
"Interesting? Amazing? Phenomenal? Wtf, how on earth does he add all those tiny details? All of these I associate with Ukaa and his photos. All of them have a story to tell. All of them will show you something unique, a new way to look at the word; and all of them presented with such creativity and colour. He's got some mad skills with that camera and composition as well. Keep up the kick ass work man and goodluck."
4th December, 2007
"Ukaa...where to begin? His photos are always so full of humour and creativity and even though I have never met him, I could tell from the early comments he deposited in my stream that his personality is also the same. His outlook on life in what he writes and creates is infectious. Thanks for reminding us (me) what life truly is about :D"
3rd November, 2007
"It all began with his tiny paper crane photo I saw on explore.
I think that was also the time when i became a macro enthusiast. This guy has a crazy imagination and lots of creativity which I admire. Browsing this guy's photostream is just like taking a trip to the explore pages. He's got tons of no.1's on explore, hundreds of comments and faves on photos and and the funniest concepts in flickr.
Glad I met this guy.. Keep making us smile and laugh and inspired Nic. =)"
19th September, 2007
"Ukaaa's photos are precise, witty and amazing. I wish I had his patience and dedication.
I am constantly amazed at his talent."
9th September, 2007
"His creativity is amazing!!!
His ideas are cool,unusual,inspiring,weird,funny,positively different!!
It's always a pleasure to visit his stream!
31st August, 2007
paul beefs says:
"He is definitly the Master of Flies."
25th August, 2007
Twiggy Tu says:
"you create so many intresting pics about funny life."
15th August, 2007
"the cleverest, most original & wittiest macro photography i have ever seen. if this is not a large commercial merchandising operation very soon i will be very surprised. sell it expensive. it is worth the money."
13th August, 2007
Jersey Yen says:
"uka is such a big boy who enjoy in his fantastic macro world. he's talented, amazing and absolutely he's a lovely person. I adore his colorful life, everything looks soooo vivid and interesting!! he always can touch my heart and inspirit my mind. take care bro, so glad to know you each other on flickr! ;)*
12th June, 2007
"Nic is one of the sweetest people I have met in my life. He sees life in a positive way and it can be seen in his pics. I love his style, very unique, so ‘ukesque’. He even introduced me to look at photography in a different way and what a wonderful teacher, so patient with me...
I am always very impatient to see what he is going to invent, like a fool scientist with his test-tubes! xxx"
1st June, 2007
Oh Blee says:
"Uka takes the cutest pictures I've ever seen, and some of the most stunning too. I love looking at pictures he's taken, there's always something slightly different about what he does!"
15th May, 2007
"I love his photos. They range from the simple to the stunning, at times they're perfect. Now he has a macro lens i can only imagine how much more awesome pictures are to come."
6th May, 2007
"Uka's photos are always so great to see. He constantly has great ideas and his photos are all very optimistic and promising. I've seen him really develop his photography no end so far and I know he will only continue to get even better. I love checking his photostream for his new ideas each day :)"
29th April, 2007
"Uka is full of cutesy ideas in his photography. I enjoy his use of doodles and extremely small handwriting, he works very well with macro photography and should concentrate on this unique and "uka" style of photography. Good work uka :)"
29th April, 2007
- Nicholas Hendrickx
- December 2006
- Laarne, Belgium
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Web/Graphic Designer