I am a middle aged American man living in the North Georgia mountains near the southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail. My wife and I are active hikers. We love to travel in England because of the cool weather, the extensive public transportation and the thousands of miles of public footpaths. I have been working on a garden of my own for fifteen years. I have used many of the ideas that I have gotten from English gardens.
After looking at many pictures on Flickr for over a year, I finally joined in January, 2008, and put up almost 1500 pictures taken on a trip to the Cotswolds, East Sussex and the Chelsea Flower Show in 2007. I have since put up a number of sets taken in various small towns in the Southern US, and have also added sets taken on trips to other parts of England including Derbyshire, Shropshire, and Yorkshire as well as other English Gardens such as Chatsworth and Haddon Hall and the Chelsea Show of 2005, and then our July 2008 trip to Sussex and the Cotswolds, as well as other English gardens such as Sissinghurst, Nymans, Savill, Windsor Great Park and Sheffield Park. More recently, I have put up shots from Hardwick Hall, and several walks and cycle rides in the areas around Bakewell, Tissington, Dovedale and Ilam from our two week visit to Derbyshire in 2006.
I spent the past couple of years "returning to my roots" by taking pictures of the changing seasons in the North Georgia mountains where my paternal ancestors have lived for over 175 years. 2010 saw a late winter trip to Tucson and a week at Grayton Beach State Park in Northwest Florida.
In May, 2011, I made yet another trip to England, this time - twelve days in which I managed to cram: a full day at Kew Gardens to see the outdoor exhibition of the International Garden Photographer of the Year, four days of villages and gardens in the Cotswolds, a day at Oxford and Rousham, three days in Rye with visits to Great Dixter and Winchelsea, a side trip from London to Amberley and Arundel, an afternoon garden party inside Eccleston Square, an exhibition of Henry Moore sculptures at Hatfield House, a visit with Flickr contact Penwren and her family in Lewes. The grand finale was the last day - a glimpse of the Obamas during the Presidential Visit to London, and an afternoon ticket to the Chelsea Flower Show. It's going to take the rest of the summer to organize and put up all of the pictures.
We may make a few car trips around Georgia or nearby states, and have scheduled a short visit to family in Chicago for later this summer.
In June, 2009, I purchased a Nikon D40 SLR, and will use it for macros, still lifes and plant portraits that did not come out well on my trusty Canon compact.
If things get slow, I may also go back to the "archives" each morning and put up a shot that did not get seen by many of my contacts when it was first posted. It is my hope that these pictures will be helpful to people trying to decide whether to visit the places that I have documented here.
Someone asked about my Flickr Icon. It's a small figurine of an English Bulldog - the mascot of the University of Georgia (UGA) - my alma mater and also that of our son and daughter-in-law . Here he's dressed in gardening garb in the UGA School colors of Red and Black - our young nephew spotted it in a shop somewhere and it became a Christmas present to me a couple of years ago:
Photos of UGArdener (7)
- Great American Landscapes 5,912 photos, 517 members
- On the Coast of Maine... 7,652 photos, 323 members
- Maine 39,929 photos, 1,839 members
- The Best of Maine Lighthouse and the Coast 297 photos, 83 members
- LIGHTHOUSE LOVERS 100,868 photos, 17,029 members
- Essence of Maine 32,198 photos, 1,703 members
- Celebrating English Gardens 12,738 photos, 1,524 members
- New York City 603,990 photos, 42,023 members
- New York Photography 298,484 photos, 16,922 members
- New York City Landmarks & Icons 80,323 photos, 7,066 members
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York 4,069 photos, 253 members
- Museums & Galleries, NYC 510 photos, 57 members
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art 19,562 photos, 2,372 members
- Masterworks in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York. 4,807 photos, 279 members
- Explore Georgia 6,267 photos, 283 members
- Super Shots - Only Invited Photos - Nominate Now 257,369 photos, 40,629 members
- Chastleton House and Garden 353 photos, 37 members
- Gibbs Gardens, GA 728 photos, 46 members
- The Gallery Of Fine Photography [No frames/signatures] 44,787 photos, 5,371 members
- Multi Colour CrAzY! (post 1 - comment 1) 3,578 photos, 351 members
- Lightroom Processing 41,789 photos, 1,367 members
- Adobe Lightroom 22,528 photos, 22,114 members
- CHANTICLEER 883 photos, 32 members
- Garden sculpture 1,136 photos, 157 members
- 2012 Downtown Georgia photo contest 190 photos, 97 members
- Philadelphia Area Arboretums 1,967 photos, 80 members
- NYBG Group 20,130 photos, 633 members
- American Horticultural Society Photo Contests 1,147 photos, 191 members
- Rye East Sussex 1,642 photos, 197 members
- Yahoo Your Pictures 47,553 photos, 2,980 members
- Rainbows.....PLEASE READ DESCRIPTION BEFORE POSTING 11,149 photos, 4,996 members
- rainbow 10,137 photos, 4,752 members
- Chicago Botanic Garden 8,737 photos, 499 members
- Unforgettable Landscapes(High Quality) 46,078 photos, 6,928 members
- Berlin - Gärten der Welt im Erholungspark Marzahn 2,693 photos, 209 members
- Art Institute of Chicago 3,128 photos, 345 members
- Chicago... 126,435 photos, 8,219 members
- Naturalistic Garden and Wild Garden Design 3,659 photos, 366 members
- Your Kew 22,721 photos, 1,184 members
- Great Garden Galleries 67 photos, 42 members
- BBC Gardeners' World 22,385 photos, 1,178 members
- The Colours of: Autumn 385,872 photos, 17,744 members
- Georgia Autumn 1,632 photos, 102 members
- Mushrooms and Fungi 35,835 photos, 2,969 members
- Memories: Capturing Experiences 61,538 photos, 523 members
- BBC Autumnwatch 143,040 photos, 12,600 members
- Color Escape: B&W ONLY (NO COLOR) 28,766 photos, 1,757 members
- Black and White 5,430,580 photos, 265,761 members
- Insect Macro Photography 403,349 photos, 26,772 members
- VisitEngland 9,630 photos, 456 members
"Stunning images from a very talented photographer. I could look at these for hours."
20th May, 2009
AJK Photography says:
"Fabulous images of the country I call home and the USA ones are wonderful too. The English Tourist Board could use UGArdener's photos of England to promote England abroad."
18th January, 2009
Patrick Henson says:
"Great photographs of the area I grew up in, North Georgia.
Check out UGAardner's stream for some excellent decay and nature photography."
16th November, 2008
"A super collection of photos. I particularly like the landscapes of England capturing the beauty of the country well. I look forward to seeing many more."
16th October, 2008
"Always captures very interesting photographs and the description is a useful addittion to the photo"
26th June, 2008
M-J Turner says:
"**UGArdener is simply exceptional in his visions and ability to capture the beauty surrounding him.
The quantity of his work is simply astounding, especially when the beauty never seems to lose its magical touch.
Hope you are always there to brighten my time on Flickr, my friend**"
22nd June, 2008
- JR P
- January 2008
- I am:
- Male and Taken