I am a middle aged American man living in the North Georgia mountains near the southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail. My wife and I are active hikers. We love to travel in England because of the cool weather, the extensive public transportation and the thousands of miles of public footpaths. I have been working on a garden of my own for fifteen years. I have used many of the ideas that I have gotten from English gardens.
After looking at many pictures on Flickr for over a year, I finally joined in January, 2008, and put up almost 1500 pictures taken on a trip to the Cotswolds, East Sussex and the Chelsea Flower Show in 2007. I have since put up a number of sets taken in various small towns in the Southern US, and have also added sets taken on trips to other parts of England including Derbyshire, Shropshire, and Yorkshire as well as other English Gardens such as Chatsworth and Haddon Hall and the Chelsea Show of 2005, and then our July 2008 trip to Sussex and the Cotswolds, as well as other English gardens such as Sissinghurst, Nymans, Savill, Windsor Great Park and Sheffield Park. More recently, I have put up shots from Hardwick Hall, and several walks and cycle rides in the areas around Bakewell, Tissington, Dovedale and Ilam from our two week visit to Derbyshire in 2006.
I spent the past couple of years "returning to my roots" by taking pictures of the changing seasons in the North Georgia mountains where my paternal ancestors have lived for over 175 years. 2010 saw a late winter trip to Tucson and a week at Grayton Beach State Park in Northwest Florida.
In May, 2011, I made yet another trip to England, this time - twelve days in which I managed to cram: a full day at Kew Gardens to see the outdoor exhibition of the International Garden Photographer of the Year, four days of villages and gardens in the Cotswolds, a day at Oxford and Rousham, three days in Rye with visits to Great Dixter and Winchelsea, a side trip from London to Amberley and Arundel, an afternoon garden party inside Eccleston Square, an exhibition of Henry Moore sculptures at Hatfield House, a visit with Flickr contact Penwren and her family in Lewes. The grand finale was the last day - a glimpse of the Obamas during the Presidential Visit to London, and an afternoon ticket to the Chelsea Flower Show. It's going to take the rest of the summer to organize and put up all of the pictures.
We may make a few car trips around Georgia or nearby states, and have scheduled a short visit to family in Chicago for later this summer.
In June, 2009, I purchased a Nikon D40 SLR, and will use it for macros, still lifes and plant portraits that did not come out well on my trusty Canon compact.
If things get slow, I may also go back to the "archives" each morning and put up a shot that did not get seen by many of my contacts when it was first posted. It is my hope that these pictures will be helpful to people trying to decide whether to visit the places that I have documented here.
Someone asked about my Flickr Icon. It's a small figurine of an English Bulldog - the mascot of the University of Georgia (UGA) - my alma mater and also that of our son and daughter-in-law . Here he's dressed in gardening garb in the UGA School colors of Red and Black - our young nephew spotted it in a shop somewhere and it became a Christmas present to me a couple of years ago:
Photos of UGArdener (7)
- Explore Georgia 3,278 photos, 190 members
- Super Shots - Only Invited Photos - Nominate Now 259,271 photos, 40,906 members
- Chastleton House and Garden 345 photos, 37 members
- Gibbs Gardens, GA 597 photos, 41 members
- The Gallery Of Fine Photography [No frames/signatures] 39,221 photos, 5,023 members
- Multi Colour CrAzY! (post 1 - comment 1) 2,766 photos, 333 members
- Lightroom Processing 37,566 photos, 1,217 members
- Adobe Lightroom 21,364 photos, 21,338 members
- CHANTICLEER 818 photos, 30 members
- Garden sculpture 1,043 photos, 150 members
- 2012 Downtown Georgia photo contest 190 photos, 95 members
- Philadelphia Area Arboretums 1,899 photos, 78 members
- NYBG Group 18,653 photos, 622 members
- American Horticultural Society Photo Contests 833 photos, 179 members
- Rye East Sussex 1,531 photos, 200 members
- Yahoo! Your Pictures 30,395 photos, 2,648 members
- Rainbows.....PLEASE READ DESCRIPTION BEFORE POSTING 11,038 photos, 4,980 members
- rainbow 9,022 photos, 4,312 members
- Chicago Botanic Garden 7,797 photos, 472 members
- Unforgettable Landscapes(High Quality) 40,796 photos, 6,774 members
- Gärten der Welt im Erholungspark Marzahn 2,290 photos, 166 members
- Art Institute of Chicago 2,789 photos, 327 members
- Chicago... 120,803 photos, 8,131 members
- Naturalistic Garden and Wild Garden Design 3,082 photos, 326 members
- Your Kew 20,938 photos, 1,098 members
- Great Garden Galleries 62 photos, 40 members
- BBC Gardeners' World 19,552 photos, 1,123 members
- The Colours of: Spring 354,932 photos, 17,083 members
- Georgia Autumn 1,596 photos, 101 members
- Mushrooms and Fungi 32,517 photos, 2,852 members
- Memories: Capturing Experiences 59,219 photos, 523 members
- BBC Autumnwatch 118,366 photos, 11,874 members
- Color Escape: B&W ONLY (NO COLOR) 25,995 photos, 1,581 members
- Black and White 4,933,523 photos, 243,370 members
- Insect Macro Photography 360,348 photos, 25,808 members
- VisitEngland 9,676 photos, 449 members
- Garden Art and Ornament 3,019 photos, 253 members
- Our Gardens-not individual flower pics 10,375 photos, 1,030 members
- Digital Masterpiece 43,383 photos, 1,955 members
- ROTHKOesque 9,878 photos, 3,980 members
- Insect Identification 129 photos, 56 members
- Insect Identification Help Group 10,564 photos, 2,417 members
- Treasures of the Ashmolean Museum 2,019 photos, 131 members
- The South 57,013 photos, 1,449 members
- Cottage Souvenirs 646 photos, 107 members
- My Beautiful Garden - Only Invited Photos 7,837 photos, 353 members
- The French Garden 1,916 photos, 268 members
- Emerald Coast Florida Beaches 1,177 photos, 158 members
- Boardwalks & Other Wooden Paths 3,888 photos, 774 members
- Seascapes and Shorelines 425,026 photos, 22,373 members
"Stunning images from a very talented photographer. I could look at these for hours."
20th May, 2009
AJK Photography says:
"Fabulous images of the country I call home and the USA ones are wonderful too. The English Tourist Board could use UGArdener's photos of England to promote England abroad."
18th January, 2009
Patrick Henson says:
"Great photographs of the area I grew up in, North Georgia.
Check out UGAardner's stream for some excellent decay and nature photography."
16th November, 2008
"A super collection of photos. I particularly like the landscapes of England capturing the beauty of the country well. I look forward to seeing many more."
16th October, 2008
"Always captures very interesting photographs and the description is a useful addittion to the photo"
26th June, 2008
M-J Turner says:
"**UGArdener is simply exceptional in his visions and ability to capture the beauty surrounding him.
The quantity of his work is simply astounding, especially when the beauty never seems to lose its magical touch.
Hope you are always there to brighten my time on Flickr, my friend**"
22nd June, 2008
- JR P
- January 2008
- I am:
- Male and Taken