Thanks for stopping by!
I am the species pages coordinator for the Encyclopedia of Life and the managing editor for the Tree of Life Web Project. I use Flickr both for pleasure and for finding images for our projects.
Thanks to all of you who release their images of organisms under creative commons licenses. You have made my job a lot easier and a lot more fun during the last few years.
If I have made you a contact, it's either because I know you personally or I'm enthralled by your photostream or both. If I favorite one of your photos, that means I really really really like it, and I'll probably come back to look at it every once in a while. I usually leave comments only if I have something to say, however trivial it may be. I don't participate in groups that require commenting.
All of my animal photos are of wild individuals in their natural habitat unless otherwise indicated. Check out my observations on
– View treegrow's observations »
Cameras I have owned:
Olympus OM-2N - Very first camera, bought when I was a student with a bunch of macro accessories, got stolen when I lived in Providence, Rhode Island. Dangerous place!
Olympus OM-4T - Replacement provided by the insurance company for the OM 2N, great deal!
Olympus OM-1 - Travel camera. Sold all my film camera gear for a nickel and a dime when I moved from AZ to DC.
Canon PowerShot S2 IS - Very first digital camera, dearly beloved, wonderful performance in the macro range. Was still going strong when I gave it away after upgrading to the SX10 IS.
Canon PowerShot SX10 IS - Longer zoom, more megapixels, wider ISO range than the S2 IS, but alas not as much fun to shoot with. Also has the dreaded lens error every so often.
Canon PowerShot SX210 IS - Since the SX10 IS is kind of heavy & bulky, I wanted a small camera to always have with me. This is a beautiful camera, but the macro performance was disappointing, so I gave it to my sister
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5 - Replacement for the SX210, definitely better macro range. Doesn't look and feel as nice as the SX210.
Canon EOS 400D - My first DSLR, a hand-me-down from a family member, shutter went bust after a few months.
Canon Digital Rebel XTi - Bought a used one these to replace the 400D. Still not sure about the DSLR thing though. It's a lot of weight to carry around, and I really miss the flexibility of the superzoom point & shoots.
Canon PowerShot SX40 HS - My newest toy, with a 36x zoom. Also got a Raynox 250 and a flash for macro shots. Endless hours of fun!
Photos of treegrow (8)
- Monarch Watch 139 photos, 26 members
- Closer and Closer Macro Photography 2013 925,156 photos, 75,222 members
- Frogs, Frogs, Frogs 22,319 photos, 5,638 members
- Nature & Wildlife Videos 696 photos, 89 members
- Coreoidea of the World (Hemiptera: Heteroptera) 2,295 photos, 142 members
- Flickr Ideas 1 photo, 11,938 members
- Diptera 10,859 photos, 340 members
- Entomopathogenic Fungi 598 photos, 139 members
- Grasshoppers, Crickets and Katydids of the Western US 1,041 photos, 11 members
- Huntley Meadows Park 1,428 photos, 96 members
- Wacky Macro Rigs 85 photos, 49 members
- Bioparc Valencia 1,936 photos, 226 members
- Poor-Man's Macro (PLEASE, read the description carefully!) 41,490 photos, 6,021 members
- silhouette 297,724 photos, 41,165 members
- Zingiberales 752 photos, 76 members
- Asilidae (Robberflies) 2,282 photos, 243 members
- Mantis Gallery 4,910 photos, 994 members
- National Zoo (US) in Washington D.C. 13,786 photos, 1,148 members
- Bird Videos 3,598 photos, 543 members
- Myriapoda (Centipedes, Millipedes, Etc.) 3,832 photos, 891 members
- Passiflora 3,663 photos, 722 members
- RAYNOX DCR250 30,608 photos, 3,129 members
- Canon SX30 / SX40 / SX50 43,450 photos, 2,155 members
- "CANON POWERSHOT : SX1 IS / ...... / SX40/ SX50 " 21,553 photos, 883 members
- Economic Botany 3,028 photos, 132 members
- SaguaroNPS BioBlitz Oct 21-22 - SOCIAL - FUN PHOTOS 318 photos, 17 members
- Plant Galls 1,413 photos, 141 members
- Insect Macro Photography 405,012 photos, 26,799 members
- Eye for Science 2,594 photos, 128 members
- SaguaroNPS BioBlitz 288 photos, 26 members
- BugShot 2011 268 photos, 29 members
- BIRDS of the SOUTHWEST US 12,290 photos, 411 members
- Odonata 27,640 photos, 1,117 members
- Salticidae 9,900 photos, 629 members
- Minor Arthropod Orders 482 photos, 67 members
- Slime Molds 2,073 photos, 327 members
- Flora nativa de los Andes y Chile 6,454 photos, 563 members
- Hover Fly 7,455 photos, 669 members
- For The Love Of Dragonflies 42,013 photos, 4,710 members
- Backpacking and Hiking pictures 15,665 photos, 1,206 members
- Cerambycidae - Longhorn Beetles 2,393 photos, 224 members
- Buprestidae - Jewel Beetles 750 photos, 110 members
- Tokina 100mm f/2.8 AT-X M100 AF Pro D Macro 15,064 photos, 1,207 members
- Canon on a budget 12,362 photos, 435 members
- Moths of the eastern United States 5,192 photos, 296 members
- Nature + Education 7,850 photos, 211 members
- Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM 86,674 photos, 6,488 members
- Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro Photo 19,027 photos, 1,238 members
- Cats Cats Cats 358,907 photos, 25,430 members
- Dogs! Dogs! Dogs! 819,414 photos, 103,358 members
treegrow doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Katja Schulz
- August 2005
- Washington, D. C., USA
- I am:
- Biologist (Entomologist)
- Encyclopedia of Life