I'm a science librarian, with a background in electrical engineering and acoustics, originally from Lausanne, Switzerland and now living in Toronto, Canada.
For me, photography started as an escape route, something different for the stressed-out engineer I was. Just after defending my PhD thesis, I bought my first "real" camera (a Canon 350D) and went to the loneliness of Brittany in November to test my new gear out. Why I chose to go there and then is still unclear to me. Probably because I needed to calibrate myself to the famous 18% gray, and 18% gray is pretty much all there is to see in Brittany in winter...
Anyway, even though it soon dawned on me that I still had a tremendous lot to learn before I could call myself a photographer (I still have), I came back to Switzerland with a new passion.
In the years that followed, I tried to go beyond the first snapshots and started taking photography classes. But what really helped me progress was the wonderful Flickr fraternity, notably the flickr@lausanne crowd. Thanks to the artistic talent and technical knowledge of its members, I have learned a tremendous amount of things, which I now try to apply to my own work.
Obviously, I still have a long way to go. My biggest remaining problem is self-conciousness. I just can't go out in the street and shoot candids, or walk up to a complete stranger to ask if I can take her portrait. I always feel like an intruder, especially while traveling to other countries. But over time, thanks to all the encouraging comments I have received both online and in real life, I gained some confidence and started shooting less objects and more people!
I'm not really trying to say anything special with my pictures, and I post on Flickr the ones I personally find the most interesting. Comments are always appreciated, especially critical or technical since they will help me progress.
Photography is a hobby for me, it is a way to have some fun, and so far it's been working pretty well :-) Enjoy!
Do you want to use one of my pictures? That's fine, help yourself but please pay attention to the terms of the Creative Commons license under which most of my pictures are released. You are free to use them for non-commercial use provided you cite me and/or maintain a link back to the Flickr photo page.
It is not compulsory to inform me when one of my images is used, but I always appreciate hearing from people liking my work enough to want to use it! :-)
If you want to use an image for commercial use, you must contact me first, stating the details of your project.
Photos of timtom.ch (6)
- Your Best Shot 2013 8,472 photos, 10,893 members
- Hart House Camera Club 834 photos, 141 members
- .film.forever. 308,810 photos, 6,769 members
- Analog Photography 1,444,646 photos, 31,919 members
- Film is not Dead!! 1,486,286 photos, 34,767 members
- Vintage Toronto 191 photos, 27 members
- Doors Open Ontario 593 photos, 178 members
- FILM CAMERAS ONLY! 834,906 photos, 28,421 members
- Bernmobil 1,185 photos, 57 members
- Furniture I Built 2,748 photos, 549 members
- Toronto Photo Walks - http://torontophotowalks.ca/ 21,282 photos, 841 members
- Toronto 139,337 photos, 9,205 members
- flickr (unofficial) 1,557,675 photos, 78,563 members
- Pritzker Prize First Choice 4,429 photos, 1,387 members
- ! Best of Berlin architecture / Berliner Architektur 7,177 photos, 764 members
- Berlin, Anything About Berlin 45,182 photos, 928 members
- Berlin bei Nacht 12,359 photos, 1,122 members
- Berlin Analog 12,521 photos, 1,404 members
- iPhone-art iphoneography 28,035 photos, 731 members
- MOSCOW / МОСКВА 35,358 photos, 3,856 members
- Music Photography 375,989 photos, 13,447 members
- Music Music Music 105,185 photos, 8,387 members
- Long Exposure Water 34,300 photos, 2,780 members
- Night Shots* 104,680 photos, 10,312 members
- Night and light 8,443 photos, 626 members
- Curvy World - Horizon, Widelux, Noblex... 3,629 photos, 268 members
- HORIZON's Masterpieces 5,362 photos, 387 members
- ★ Horizon Kompakt & Perfekt ★ 25,926 photos, 1,939 members
- Horizon, tu! oh, tu! NEW AND IMPROVED! 6,222 photos, 482 members
- Russia Daily Photo 16,584 photos, 1,604 members
- St. Petersburg 16,497 photos, 1,117 members
- Hotels 53,515 photos, 5,070 members
- Grisons - Graubünden - Switzerland 8,005 photos, 314 members
- Solothurn 2,026 photos, 110 members
- Dine.TO (Toronto Restaurants) 1,068 photos, 247 members
- Indoor Panoramas 2,433 photos, 221 members
- Lausanne sous un autre angle/Lausanne from another point of view 1,116 photos, 111 members
- Club-Photo EPFL 1,286 photos, 75 members
- Thin-shell Structures 879 photos, 117 members
- Your Best Shot 2010 18,896 photos, 23,163 members
- * Vanishing Points * 152,598 photos, 28,479 members
- US Capitol 1,560 photos, 207 members
- USA - UNITED STATES OF AMERICA 215,189 photos, 7,393 members
- Best Washington DC Shots of the Week 1,352 photos, 330 members
- Washington DC Metro Area Sights 104,571 photos, 5,101 members
- Washington DC/Metro Area 141,784 photos, 8,050 members
- Charleston, SC 22,837 photos, 1,608 members
- Cucurbitaceae (melons and relatives) 163 photos, 40 members
- Local is Beautiful - Growing & Eating Local Food 23,601 photos, 2,682 members
- Fruits and Vegetables (fresh and uncooked) 44,118 photos, 7,547 members
KraKote est KoKasse. says:
"Il y a des évidences qui ont besoin d'être dites ou du moins écrites : j'aurais pu le faire avant, mais justement parce que c'est une certitude -notre amitié- j'ai même pas pensé à le faire, dingue ! C'est super chouette que l'on se connaisse et qu'on partage des blagues, des flashs, de bons repas, des mariages personnels et plus lointains, des livres et des crêpes ! :-D
A la revoyure, ici ou là-bas :))
Un bon bek,
10th December, 2010
- Thomas Guignard
- November 2004
- Lausanne, Switzerland
- Toronto, Canada
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Science Librarian