I'm a science librarian, with a background in electrical engineering and acoustics, originally from Lausanne, Switzerland and now living in Toronto, Canada.
For me, photography started as an escape route, something different for the stressed-out engineer I was. Just after defending my PhD thesis, I bought my first "real" camera (a Canon 350D) and went to the loneliness of Brittany in November to test my new gear out. Why I chose to go there and then is still unclear to me. Probably because I needed to calibrate myself to the famous 18% gray, and 18% gray is pretty much all there is to see in Brittany in winter...
Anyway, even though it soon dawned on me that I still had a tremendous lot to learn before I could call myself a photographer (I still have), I came back to Switzerland with a new passion.
In the years that followed, I tried to go beyond the first snapshots and started taking photography classes. But what really helped me progress was the wonderful Flickr fraternity, notably the flickr@lausanne crowd. Thanks to the artistic talent and technical knowledge of its members, I have learned a tremendous amount of things, which I now try to apply to my own work.
Obviously, I still have a long way to go. My biggest remaining problem is self-conciousness. I just can't go out in the street and shoot candids, or walk up to a complete stranger to ask if I can take her portrait. I always feel like an intruder, especially while traveling to other countries. But over time, thanks to all the encouraging comments I have received both online and in real life, I gained some confidence and started shooting less objects and more people!
I'm not really trying to say anything special with my pictures, and I post on Flickr the ones I personally find the most interesting. Comments are always appreciated, especially critical or technical since they will help me progress.
Photography is a hobby for me, it is a way to have some fun, and so far it's been working pretty well :-) Enjoy!
Do you want to use one of my pictures? That's fine, help yourself but please pay attention to the terms of the Creative Commons license under which most of my pictures are released. You are free to use them for non-commercial use provided you cite me and/or maintain a link back to the Flickr photo page.
It is not compulsory to inform me when one of my images is used, but I always appreciate hearing from people liking my work enough to want to use it! :-)
If you want to use an image for commercial use, you must contact me first, stating the details of your project.
Photos of timtom.ch (6)
- Doors Open Ontario 452 photos, 158 members
- FILM CAMERAS ONLY! 831,405 photos, 27,613 members
- Bernmobil 1,182 photos, 55 members
- Furniture I Built 2,562 photos, 531 members
- Toronto Photo Walks - http://torontophotowalks.ca/ 20,101 photos, 799 members
- Toronto 132,865 photos, 8,949 members
- flickr (unofficial) 1,042,174 photos, 73,573 members
- Pritzker Prize First Choice 4,196 photos, 1,345 members
- ! Best of Berlin architecture / Berliner Architektur 6,595 photos, 738 members
- Berlin, Anything About Berlin 39,474 photos, 813 members
- Berlin bei Nacht 10,593 photos, 940 members
- Berlin Analog 11,550 photos, 1,258 members
- iPhone-art iphoneography 22,308 photos, 686 members
- MOSCOW / МОСКВА 33,908 photos, 3,746 members
- Music Photography 334,666 photos, 13,091 members
- Music Music Music 96,448 photos, 8,103 members
- Long Exposure Water 28,836 photos, 2,517 members
- Night Shots* 89,083 photos, 9,407 members
- Night and light 6,564 photos, 517 members
- Curvy World - Horizon, Widelux, Noblex... 3,491 photos, 255 members
- HORIZON's Masterpieces 5,323 photos, 378 members
- ★ Horizon Kompakt & Perfekt ★ 25,274 photos, 1,896 members
- Horizon, tu! oh, tu! NEW AND IMPROVED! 6,308 photos, 475 members
- Russia Daily Photo 14,260 photos, 1,451 members
- St. Petersburg 15,662 photos, 1,057 members
- Hotels 53,316 photos, 4,937 members
- Grisons - Graubünden - Switzerland 6,779 photos, 290 members
- Solothurn 1,863 photos, 107 members
- Dine.TO (Toronto Restaurants) 1,033 photos, 248 members
- Indoor Panoramas 2,379 photos, 221 members
- Lausanne sous un autre angle/Lausanne from another point of view 1,038 photos, 104 members
- Club-Photo EPFL 1,291 photos, 75 members
- Thin-shell Structures 864 photos, 115 members
- Your Best Shot 2010 19,180 photos, 23,486 members
- * Vanishing Points * 144,426 photos, 24,872 members
- US Capitol 1,497 photos, 204 members
- USA - UNITED STATES OF AMERICA 198,326 photos, 7,024 members
- Best Washington DC Shots of the Week 1,148 photos, 297 members
- Washington DC Metro Area Sights 100,059 photos, 5,046 members
- Washington DC/Metro Area 135,244 photos, 7,882 members
- Charleston, SC 21,689 photos, 1,574 members
- Cucurbitaceae (melons and relatives) 164 photos, 40 members
- Local is Beautiful - Growing & Eating Local Food 22,843 photos, 2,675 members
- Fruits and Vegetables (fresh and uncooked) 42,295 photos, 7,362 members
- Wide angle quality pictures 606 photos, 61 members
- Secret Life of Shadows 2,235 photos, 799 members
- poetic shadows on walls 14,484 photos, 2,705 members
- shadows 167,626 photos, 18,956 members
- Architect - Hadid, Zaha 2,357 photos, 519 members
- Design Furniture 8,142 photos, 915 members
KraKote est KoKasse. says:
"Il y a des évidences qui ont besoin d'être dites ou du moins écrites : j'aurais pu le faire avant, mais justement parce que c'est une certitude -notre amitié- j'ai même pas pensé à le faire, dingue ! C'est super chouette que l'on se connaisse et qu'on partage des blagues, des flashs, de bons repas, des mariages personnels et plus lointains, des livres et des crêpes ! :-D
A la revoyure, ici ou là-bas :))
Un bon bek,
10th December, 2010
- Thomas Guignard
- November 2004
- Lausanne, Switzerland
- Toronto, Canada
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Science Librarian