Painting was my first addiction until I got high on turpentine in my cramped city dwelling. At the same time, doctors recommended exercise, so these days I scour the streets of Shanghai with my camera to fill the void of my former passion.
Today, I am a freelance photographer who has given up brushes for lenses and can breathe better with the aid of an occasional cigarette. God how I miss the smell of linseed oil.
My family portrait business website can be found here:
www.barefootportraits.org Or you can contact me directly through: +86-136-36499378.
2006.08.22 - ps. Want to see more of China? I want to share more too. But my posts are limited. Donations for a pro account are most welcome. :)
2006.08.24 - Uh-oh Tommy-san has just raised expectations. I hope I can put up with the pressure. Thanks for the pro, Mr. Pro! Never heard of him? Well your missing half of the flickr experience. Visit his astounding photos at: www.flickr.com/photos/tommyoshima/ You gotta see it to believe it.
2007.08.23 - Another year has passed. My pro account is expiring. Anyone willing to donate a pro account to this poor bloke?
2007.08.26 - Deepest gratitude to Sissi, who donated my pro account this year. Thank you very much!
Thanks for dropping by!
Photos of theshanghaieye (2)
- Before & After - A Sneak Peek into Processing 3,191 photos, 5,062 members
- Beijing 104,355 photos, 4,313 members
- Peoples of India 72,774 photos, 4,204 members
- 24 hours of Flickr 5,144 photos, 17,625 members
- Shanghai Flickr Meetup Slideshow 5,119 photos, 455 members
- Shield Of Excellence - Level 1 (p1/a3) 508,092 photos, 40,669 members
- Are You Experienced? 10,081 photos, 677 members
- Global Photojournalism 509,829 photos, 24,281 members
- The Visible Photographer (*NOT POSED* Street Photos) 56 photos, 924 members
- National Geographic Wannabes 486,937 photos, 13,027 members
- Travel Photography 4,356,079 photos, 138,756 members
- Lonely Planet Photo Challenges 151,134 photos, 16,233 members
- The Dog House 97,103 photos, 5,103 members
- MACROPOLS -- City of Awesome Macro Shots (read the rules!) 1,699 photos, 174 members
- **A Big Fave (Invite Only) 487,386 photos, 63,697 members
- Philippines 162,789 photos, 8,326 members
- simplicity 130,187 photos, 6,950 members
- Pinoy Faves! 6,934 photos, 537 members
- FlickrCentral 9,428,836 photos, 264,361 members
- Show and Tell (the story behinde published photos) 51 photos, 41 members
- Killer Portrait 683 photos, 143 members
- Asians of the World 79,370 photos, 2,071 members
- 1-2-3 China 1,974 photos, 121 members
- * Vanishing Points * 209,911 photos, 42,319 members
- Decisive Moment 59,556 photos, 37,031 members
- People in the City 713,779 photos, 14,565 members
- Face 401,884 photos, 16,690 members
- WORLD CITIES HUB 31,262 photos, 1,169 members
- HCB's "The Decisive Moment" 484 photos, 7,578 members
- 25+ Faves (25-49): P1, aw & fav 2 on the first newest page 28,886 photos, 6,363 members
- EarthShots.org Entries 19,464 photos, 942 members
- Strobist.com 609,321 photos, 123,782 members
- * in上海 / shanghai 72,858 photos, 3,313 members
- Art-Redux 951 photos, 180 members
- Flickr's Cutest Kids.... 14,205 photos, 1,413 members
- Bending Light 12,460 photos, 3,475 members
- Studio Shots 110,536 photos, 9,606 members
- Child Photography Using a Flash/Studio Lighting 18,685 photos, 3,104 members
- Canon Speedlite 37,248 photos, 4,028 members
- Cheers ® Read the Rules ® 326 photos, 194 members
- Flickritis: Where 71,814 people are still happily infected! 5,806,833 photos, 75,037 members
- The Real Street Photography 1,373,224 photos, 41,050 members
- Filipino Pride 39,066 photos, 1,945 members
- Pinoy Flickrs 131,100 photos, 4,715 members
- Pinoy Photography 34,114 photos, 1,215 members
- Swimming in light 72,540 photos, 3,502 members
- shadow portraits 2,491 photos, 711 members
- Black and White 6,861,377 photos, 352,276 members
- Sunrise, Sunset -- Anything Sun! 1,078,232 photos, 68,926 members
- B&W 5,064,390 photos, 223,438 members
A Glimpse of the World says:
"It has been amazing to see Don's development as a photographer. As someone who came new to the world of serious picture taking not long ago, he has advanced by leaps and bounds. I know this from keeping an eye on his Flickr stream, but was given a strong jolt of a reminder of how dedication and passion drive great photography by his ongoing show at Arch in Shanghai. If you are in town, be sure to see it. The images look fantastic in their printed form. If you're not in town, well, at least we can count on there being more shows from Don in future. One more thing that needs to be said, Don is a generous spirit and great guy."
December 5th, 2006
Mervin Lei says:
"All I can say is wow!! I can't believe I've missed this photostream this whole time I've been on Flickr. Very moody stuff that is extremely well lit and composed. Thanks for sharing your craft... good thing you switched to lenses or the world would never see your perspective of Shanghai."
November 21st, 2006
el patojo says:
"theshanghaieye is one of my favorites photographers. He has the ability to capture the essence of the moment. Once you see his photostream you´ll be faving them all just like I did."
October 15th, 2006
Rainer Jacob says:
"I am observing his work from the other side of the world. His eyes are set on Shanghai but when you look deeper you get a wider view. You find a very unique person behind the viewfinder. Much more than you might get at a first glance. He contributes his personal visions to a community that shares viewpoints and helps building a www. visual culture in times of Web 2.0 and you can feel that his look at life comes from a painter full of passion. Happy to call us friends by inspiring us vice versa consistently. I recommend his work to be viewed carefully. It can only help to make our minds expand."
September 27th, 2006
jon madison says:
"I'm gonna write a testimonial for this guy solely based on Tommy Oshima's recommendation...If it's good enough for Oshimasan, it's good enough for me! :-)"
August 28th, 2006
"I am quite impressed with theshanghaieye's straight forward "eyes" toward the people and the city of Shanghai. There are not much exaggerations nor decorations in the images I see, but what's more important is that I see the truthness from every single shots. Shanghai is the place where I have my own obsession, and I feel so much pleasure to observe the "truth" of this city on this photostream!
The latest "Nanjing Road" series is a wonderful set to start the journey!"
August 23rd, 2006
- July 2006