We are the government agency responsible for cultural heritage and historic environment issues in Sweden. Our public archives hold about four million photos – including copy prints, glass plates and other negatives, slides and digital copies. The photos were taken over a period stretching from the later part of the 19th century until today.
More about our photo collections
Our photo collections include individual collections from various times – such as that of Carl Curman, mainly from the latter part of the 19th century – as well as the Board’s own recent photographic work and photos taken over more than a century in connection with the activities of the Board (which actually was founded in the year 1630! – long before photography was invented).
The themes represented include – among others – ancient monuments and churches, urban and rural environment, archaeology, industries and aerial photos. The photos often show people, both known and unknown. Some photos are from other countries than Sweden, some are repro photos of other materials from our holdings, such as drawings, watercolours and prints.
Kulturmiljöbild – our photo database
More than 200 000 of our photos are digitized and searchable in our photo database online. The database is continually updated with newly digitized photos.
Visit the photo database: www.raa.se/kmb
Read more about the database
Our photos on The Commons
The Swedish National Heritage Board has become a member of The Commons on Flickr in order to increase public access to our photos and provide a way for the general public to contribute with information and knowledge. New photos will be added regularly. You are welcome to share, to comment, tag or just enjoy!
Read more about our policy regarding the photos we show on The Commons.
More photos on Flickr
On our other account on Flickr we show photos from the Swedish National Heritage Board’s events since June 2011: Riksantikvarieämbetet
- Plants, Stones and Landscapes 11,099 photos, 751 members
- The Best of Black and White Photography 748 photos, 149 members
- m▲gic n▲ture 12,887 photos, 883 members
- SARDEGNA chiama SICILIA e viceversa. 43,690 photos, 2,141 members
- [...] on public space 1,984 photos, 71 members
- Recreate Culture 57 photos, 63 members
- Enquire Mag 99,601 photos, 6,746 members
- POTPOURRI MAGAZINE 145,906 photos, 6,766 members
- Nautical pictures of interest. 40,409 photos, 370 members
- Dated Vintage Photographs (pre 1945) 4,636 photos, 280 members
- Kulturhistorisk fotografi 6 photos, 2 members
- Autokromer 2 photos, 2 members
- Nationella fotografregistret 33 photos, 3 members
- Vintage pics 15,832 photos, 363 members
- Jihozápadní Čechy - Southwest Bohemia 168 photos, 39 members
- Gotland Nature Reserves 299 photos, 73 members
- Historical Gardens 11,352 photos, 558 members
- Britain's Postal Heritage 2,229 photos, 267 members
- 1st Photo Ever 2,360 photos, 326 members
- Norske Kirker / Norwegian Churches 2,903 photos, 276 members
- Castles, Mansions & Old Ruins 317 photos, 47 members
- Places Of Great History 129 photos, 23 members
- Windows & Doors -- Old & New 610 photos, 59 members
- Swedish National Heritage Board - Events 2 photos, 4 members
- Flickr Social Club 781,355 photos, 31,705 members
- Absolut Today 15,620 photos, 700 members
- Vintage Eyes That Speak 2,788 photos, 119 members
- Flickr 5.25 1,079 photos, 1,378 members
- Runes and runic inscriptions 567 photos, 148 members
- Stångehuvud 34 photos, 11 members
- Svenska kyrkor - Swedish Churches 4,781 photos, 350 members
- Churches Kościoły Kirchen 47,080 photos, 1,471 members
- Earth Hour 2009 Global 3,243 photos, 2,691 members
- Figgjo, Nymolle, Bjorn Winblad, Arabia of Finland...Scandinavian 751 photos, 152 members
- Gotland 4,158 photos, 294 members
- Sweden before 1950 6,964 photos, 460 members
- Flickr Commons 2,075 photos, 1,777 members
Swedish National Heritage Board doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- January 2009