We are the government agency responsible for cultural heritage and historic environment issues in Sweden. Our public archives hold about four million photos – including copy prints, glass plates and other negatives, slides and digital copies. The photos were taken over a period stretching from the later part of the 19th century until today.
More about our photo collections
Our photo collections include individual collections from various times – such as that of Carl Curman, mainly from the latter part of the 19th century – as well as the Board’s own recent photographic work and photos taken over more than a century in connection with the activities of the Board (which actually was founded in the year 1630! – long before photography was invented).
The themes represented include – among others – ancient monuments and churches, urban and rural environment, archaeology, industries and aerial photos. The photos often show people, both known and unknown. Some photos are from other countries than Sweden, some are repro photos of other materials from our holdings, such as drawings, watercolours and prints.
Kulturmiljöbild – our photo database
About 98 000 of our photos are digitised and searchable in our photo database online. The database is continually updated with newly digitized photos.
Visit the photo database: www.raa.se/kmb
Read more about the database
Our photos on The Commons
The Swedish National Heritage Board has become a member of The Commons on Flickr in order to increase public access to our photos and provide a way for the general public to contribute with information and knowledge. New photos will be added regularly. You are welcome to share, to comment, tag or just enjoy!
Read more about our policy regarding the photos we show on The Commons.
More photos on Flickr
On our other account on Flickr we show photos from the Swedish National Heritage Board’s events since June 2011: Riksantikvarieämbetet
Photos of Swedish National Heritage Board (11)
- m▲gic n▲ture 7,116 photos, 665 members
- SARDEGNA chiama SICILIA e viceversa. 33,467 photos, 2,122 members
- [...] on public space 1,718 photos, 66 members
- Recreate Culture 57 photos, 63 members
- Enquire Mag 81,236 photos, 6,466 members
- POTPOURRI MAGAZINE 125,143 photos, 6,542 members
- Nautical pictures of interest. 38,671 photos, 353 members
- Dated Vintage Photographs (pre 1945) 3,612 photos, 266 members
- Kulturhistorisk fotografi 6 photos, 2 members
- Autokromer 2 photos, 2 members
- Nationella fotografregistret 33 photos, 3 members
- Vintage pics 12,548 photos, 332 members
- Jihozápadní Čechy - Southwest Bohemia 170 photos, 38 members
- Gotland Nature Reserves 302 photos, 70 members
- Historical Gardens 10,561 photos, 537 members
- Britain's Postal Heritage 2,083 photos, 261 members
- 1st Photo Ever 2,184 photos, 314 members
- Norske Kirker / Norwegian Churches 2,711 photos, 265 members
- Castles, Mansions & Old Ruins 320 photos, 49 members
- Places Of Great History 121 photos, 21 members
- Windows & Doors -- Old & New 547 photos, 62 members
- Swedish National Heritage Board - Events 2 photos, 4 members
- Flickr Social Club 703,079 photos, 31,271 members
- Absolut Today 15,023 photos, 705 members
- Vintage Eyes That Speak 2,838 photos, 121 members
- Flickr 5.25 1,099 photos, 1,387 members
- Runes and runic inscriptions 532 photos, 136 members
- Stångehuvud 34 photos, 11 members
- Svenska kyrkor - Swedish Churches 4,343 photos, 335 members
- Churches Kościoły Kirchen 42,426 photos, 1,415 members
- Earth Hour 2009 Global 3,301 photos, 2,716 members
- Figgjo, Nymolle, Bjorn Winblad, Arabia of Finland...Scandinavian 690 photos, 148 members
- Gotland 3,734 photos, 276 members
- Sweden before 1950 6,836 photos, 443 members
- Flickr Commons 1,840 photos, 1,714 members
Swedish National Heritage Board doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- January 2009