"When I say I want to photograph someone, what it really means is that I'd like to know them. Anyone I know I photograph." - Annie Leibovitz
For me, photography allows me to connect with wonderful and extraordinary people.
That is why I do it. That is the only reason why I do it.
My artistic training is in painting, printmaking and sculpture, but I couldn't take that with me when I went overseas. I could take a beater Nikon F. That old brassy Nikon F and a Nikkormat traveled with me all over the far east. I learned every decent photo processing place in the Orient. Then, one day I found a Nikon D200 in a pawn shop.........
When I was studying painting, I spent long nights arguing with photographers about composition, color and light. Then, and now, I see photographers bound by dogma and often suffering from a fetish for their equipment.
I approach photography from the viewpoint of a painter. There are no sacred cows, no rules to follow. I couldn't care less about tonal contrast, histograms or color balance. If I like the way something looks, and it speaks to me, that is good enough.
I maintain all rights to my work.
Do not favorite or comment on my photographs if you are not a legitimate member of flickr. I will block you if you do not have a legitimate flickr photostream.
Please do not leave your comments with animated gif awards. I would like to keep your genuine comments, but if I have to delete them to get rid of a meaningless award that is asthethic poop, I will.
Please do not place your photographs in the comments of my photostream. Again, I would like to keep your comments, and I would probably visit your stream and comment in kind, but this behavior is just rude.
Please do not beg me to visit your photostream and comment. That's pathetic. If you would like my comments, comment on my work and I will take a look at your work. If I like your work, and can comment constructively, I will.
My images are copyrighted. You may not use them, print them, transfer them, modify them, sell them, or trade them without my explicit written permission.
Stock Agencies: If you have any interest in my photographs please contact me via Flickr. You may not use my work without my permission. My work is not available for textures, overlays or manipulation.
Potential Models: If you would like to model, or if you are in need of head shots for acting, modeling or writing, please contact me via flickrmail.If you are a musician who would like photography for album covers and promotionals, please contact me. I am always looking for new faces, and would love to schedule an interview and potential session with you. If you would like a more concise view of our professional work, please visit my zenfolio website
An interview at lensenses
- Pun with pictures 1,350 photos, 275 members
- Your Best Shot 2013 6,740 photos, 8,874 members
- Movember - Grow that Mo! 157 photos, 73 members
- Undisclosed Desires 424 photos, 128 members
- ::: tiny words::: 1,351 photos, 187 members
- Scream Your Heart Out 150 photos, 69 members
- Offbeat Maternity 2,109 photos, 725 members
- Chocohol!cs 21,072 photos, 2,762 members
- I Am a Strange Loop 432 photos, 198 members
- Crazy is Good 1,622 photos, 107 members
- Bridges and Tunnels 149,154 photos, 16,761 members
- While Her Guitar Gently Weeps 1,339 photos, 93 members
- Movie Quotes 466 photos, 216 members
- PEOPLEPIX 118,184 photos, 3,595 members
- Creepy, Unusual, Eerie and Strange Things 6,290 photos, 591 members
- My Face is My Canvas 7,337 photos, 1,246 members
- ★ Auto-Fotos / Self-Portraits ★ 8,199 photos, 986 members
- A Lifetime of Self-Portraits 20,622 photos, 1,887 members
- · Phobias & Fears · 475 photos, 142 members
- Serial Killers 106 photos, 37 members
- Steampunk Fashion 6,202 photos, 2,034 members
- steampunk 20,015 photos, 3,178 members
- Certifiably Nuts 51 photos, 26 members
- Suspicious activity... 54 photos, 19 members
- Photoshop with an attitude 22,451 photos, 2,015 members
- Evil Twins/Triples and more! 256 photos, 78 members
- Gumshoe Detectives 29 photos, 23 members
- World of Classic Cars 373,943 photos, 11,602 members
- Alfa Romeo Photo Group 6,866 photos, 318 members
- ALFA-ROMEO 2,504 photos, 100 members
- We are Alfisti 7,012 photos, 324 members
- Twisted Flickrs **No Dead Animals please** 2,958 photos, 220 members
- Flickr Stats 197 photos, 137 members
- A Comedy of Horrors 4,324 photos, 423 members
- fuck you friday 171 photos, 76 members
- When I Was Young... 138 photos, 45 members
- - The Dark inside me - 328 photos, 45 members
- My Love Affair With Music 99,629 photos, 5,550 members
- International Talk Like a Pirate Day 2,379 photos, 944 members
- Kitsch Itch 28,192 photos, 3,029 members
- Portrait city 47 photos, 5 members
- The Fucking Awesomefest!!! 4,205 photos, 127 members
- **** WCR **** 138 photos, 74 members
- fisheye fanatics 83,896 photos, 8,406 members
- Noir City 12,168 photos, 1,277 members
- Girl with a Rangefinder 18 photos, 14 members
- Girls with Film Cameras 2,341 photos, 464 members
- Camera Phone Pictures 257 photos, 20 members
- Lévitation/Levitation 1,822 photos, 1,124 members
- This Ain't Your Grandmother's Toilet 146 photos, 68 members
"Xavier is our resident Dadaist, philosopher and fine arts mogul. His work elevates us all. He's a ritual non-conformist, who makes the mundane beautiful. I'm so pleased to have made his acquaintance."
5th October, 2012
"Xavier is one of the most creative guys that I have come in contact with on Flickr. He runs a studio that has a grand sense of humor and he produces fantastic images. I love his stuff, check him out and you too will be hooked."
2nd March, 2012
"I love Xavier's stream... I am always keen to check out his new work too.
His portraits are what I come looking for. Wonderful light, unique perspectives and refreshing out takes...
Be it natural, created or a mixture of both....you can rely on Xavier for ART!"
19th January, 2011
Kiko Simone says:
"What is reality? What is illusion? What is pretense and what is profound? Truth or fallacy? Does it matter anyway? Should we, as artists, try to replicate what the eye sees, or go beyond that and create what we think it should see? Do we photograph the skin and bones of a person? Or do we illuminate their soul?
These questions sound trite, but never before has anyone brought them more into focus than did Xavier over dinner. I was so lucky to sit beside him. I would never see the same again.
Some of his most simple images are his most profound. Xavier is a true believer in the Less is More approach to art, of all types, visual, aural, and delectable. Like Paul Klee he walks a line between the child and the philosopher. And he merges the two into a brilliant elemental power that I have never witnessed before.
Thank you for your vision dear friend."
1st January, 2011
"I'm not very good with words so would just like to say Xavier is not only an awesome photographer with his own great style but a top bloke too!"
20th September, 2010
"Xavier is so awesome with lighting in his portraits
always love the catchlights in the end result
you can see he puts a lot of effort involved in setting up portraits
his is a photostream you'll get addicted to"
18th September, 2010
*Rockabilly Baby* says:
"I knew Xavier long before he went overseas and got into photography. Three decades ago, he was a hell of an artist. He still is. Xavier's work of the highest technical caliber and it has a soul all its own that shines through. This was so in his paintings, and I see it now in his photography.
Xavier is a cerebral sort, one who does thoughtful, provocative work that is able to stand alone. As a painter and printer, Xavier was a master of composition and color. This same mastery is readily apparent in his photography. I have thoroughly enjoyed watching my old friend struggle with conqering light as a photographer. For Xavier though, color, composition and light are only tools in a toolbox to be used towards the greater goal of speaking through visual imagery.
The brush and pigment was once his partner, as was the stylus and litho crayon. How strange that he is now dabbling in lenses, light and pixels. Still painting Xavier? I hope so. I hope you haven't forgotten the points I made as we argued about art and photography late into the night.
Xavier is also one of the nicest, most humble and thoughtful artists I have ever met. The guy is widely read and has traveled the world. He is a renaissance man and a mensch. He has lived, loved and lost. He has a story to tell. Through all this, he has no pretensions. He is as comfortable talking art with a mechanic or a logger as he is with another artist. He is himself."
4th February, 2010
holly joy 2 the world says:
"Studio d'Xavier has opened my eyes to a world of complexity and beauty that I had never known before.
He's a master of manipulating light and shadow.
He's a genius composer.
He makes me smile constantly, between moments of jaw dropping!
Hes mad genius, and I'm grateful!"
1st January, 2010
- Xavier J. Peg ☠
- April 2009
- I am:
- Studio d'Xavier