I am constantly composing photos in my head. If only my eyes were little cameras, so I'd be able to snap up all of the weird/lovely/interesting/funny things I see!
"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you’d be stricken blind. To live a visual life is an enormous undertaking, practically unattainable. I have only touched it, just touched it." --Dorothea Lange
I love capturing the light, the energy, the feelings in a certain moment, and I found that I also loved archiving them here, back in 2004 when I joined Flickr.
Equipment: A very steady hand helps.
As far as cameras--I use:
- an instant camera, Fuji Instax Mini 25
- Olympus OMD E-M5 micro four thirds camera + lenses
- a digital SLR + lenses
(currently: Canon 5D mkII + various Canon lenses; retired: Canon 5D, Nikon D300 + 2 Nikkor lenses, Samsung GX10 + Pentax/Sigma lenses)
- point & shoot digital cameras
(retired: Canon S90, Fuji Finepix f10, Sony Cybershot DSC-P50)
- a series of cameraphones
(currently: iPhone 4s; retired: iPhone 3GS, Nokia 6230, LG AX380/AX260, Motorola Q)
Since 2010 I have been posting iPhone photos almost daily over on Instagram. I don't usually cross-post them to Flickr, so check it out. :)
Random fact: My favorite flickr tag is "notes," which I try to put on every photo that I've annotated.
My icon photo is usually by Christina Gandolfo. I might be her favorite subject.
I don't want to get terribly stern, but please do not use my photos anywhere without my permission. Almost all photos posted here are "all rights reserved," meaning I retain all usage, licensing and copy rights. If you'd like to use a photo of mine ANYwhere (your blog, business, etc.), please send me an email before doing so so we can discuss: studio (at) gandolphoto.com. Thanks!
- Panasonic Lumix 20mm f1.7 ASPH "pancake" 70,154 photos, 3,848 members
- Be My Flickr Valentine 263 photos, 282 members
- Flickr Friday 2,838 photos, 5,133 members
- #LAFlickrMeetup 893 photos, 63 members
- Buff Wonderland *** PLEASE COMMENT*** 14,932 photos, 910 members
- Olympus OM-D user 94,189 photos, 4,990 members
- Flickr Olympus OM-D 40,374 photos, 2,233 members
- creativeLIVE Audience 200 photos, 673 members
- Do What OK 61 photos, 58 members
- Penny_LIVE 820 photos, 483 members
- dineLA 1,101 photos, 46 members
- Canon Speedlite 580EX II Flash 25,599 photos, 3,276 members
- In the Alley 264 photos, 50 members
- Fujifilm Instax Room 32,301 photos, 6,489 members
- Polaroid 264,119 photos, 22,986 members
- instax mini diptych tripty 445 photos, 441 members
- PETOGRAPHY 22,179 photos, 1,095 members
- shake it photo 3,600 photos, 319 members
- ShakeItPhoto Best Of 6,998 photos, 1,222 members
- LAist Featured Photos 89,070 photos, 2,080 members
- WehoDaily - West Hollywood 643 photos, 58 members
- Etsy Packaging 4,335 photos, 2,652 members
- WHCC: White House Custom Color 820 photos, 524 members
- Eating Out in Los Angeles 7,465 photos, 491 members
- Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L (IS) USM 72,977 photos, 6,287 members
- Etsy.com love 236,788 photos, 13,730 members
- Pro Corner: Semi-Pro and Professional Photography / Photographer 290,340 photos, 18,819 members
- Portrait Photography Business 134,260 photos, 13,217 members
- Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM 123,866 photos, 8,553 members
- Venice, California 7,255 photos, 688 members
- The Official Girl Scouts of the USA Photo Group 674 photos, 202 members
- Oklahoma WPA 131 photos, 22 members
- 'Playing With Brushes' 7,195 photos, 1,843 members
- From the Airplane Window 16,839 photos, 3,059 members
- What plant is that? 30,195 photos, 4,792 members
- Oklahoma History Center 208 photos, 25 members
- May 2009 – Renew The Flickr Vows Month 115 photos, 58 members
- Oklahoma Strobist 3,203 photos, 378 members
- Girl Guides and Girl Scouts on Flickr 1,760 photos, 520 members
- Modern Bank Architecture 985 photos, 126 members
- Best Textures 11,029 photos, 4,794 members
- Photographers' Rights. 239 photos, 3,597 members
- *Swoon 33,437 photos, 1,459 members
- *Why So Serious.... 13,064 photos, 773 members
- la familia abrazada 2,008 photos, 968 members
- Patterns and Designs 72,909 photos, 6,470 members
- How Not To Shoot Fat Folk 139 photos, 152 members
- BOK Center in Tulsa, OK 1,376 photos, 58 members
- I shoot you.... 303 photos, 91 members
- Strobist.com 571,630 photos, 113,727 members
"Stephanie is super sweet, sassy and smart. The way she captures life is quite lovely, too. It is always a pleasure to peek into her world."
6th October, 2008
"What sets Steph apart from most Flickrites (and most professional photographers) is the honesty of her photos. On any given day, you may see what she's wearing, a beautiful flower that crossed her path, a blemish, her lunch (or what's left of it) or a strange man who was rude to a cashier. There's nothing posed or sterile about her work: this is Steph's life and the world as she sees it. I, for one, am hooked."
3rd November, 2007
"She's one of the most beautiful women you will ever meet - inside and out. Her soul is portrayed daily in her photography - you will be able to tell exactly how she is feeling on any given day. Her smile and kitties never fail to bring a smile to even my toughest days."
13th August, 2007
"I have been enjoying Steph's photo stream for a bit now and I don't know quite how to describe her work except to say that she shares her life with us for lack of any single justifiable word.
She is a very creative and intuitive person who sees things in life through her photography that most people overlook.
Her sense of humor is keen and her beauty is undeniable!
Her cats, her friends and sometimes her family are seen faithfully through the eyes of "Steph" and are more often than not, a joyous occasion, a celebration of everyday life, the good, the tough and the sweet moments.
I don't think Steph realizes how great her eye for the little things in life is as she is a very modest person.
She does amazing things and sometimes makes magic with her self portraiture!
I personally am inspired by her!
Through her images she has taught me to see what I once thought was not there, the moments that usually go by unnoticed.
Anyone who shares her world through this ongoing collection of life's "snapshots" knows this.
For that I thank you Stephanie, for your friendship, for your sharing and for opening my eyes!
12th June, 2007
"At first glance, this photostream might appear to be a collection of sweet snapshots, which chronicle the adventures of a girl and her cat, but one would be foolish to dismiss it so lightly.
Make no mistake, this is art, and I'm not just talking about her photography. While certainly a capable and sensuous photographer, this hardly seems the point when viewing the stream as a whole.
Having watched this stream for over a year, comparisons to living performance art and reality entertainment have fleetingly crossed, then exited my mind. That, I believe is for the best. To attempt defining what makes this so special, would only diminish it.
Dictionary.com's Word of the Day for Tuesday August 29, 2006:
sui generis \soo-eye-JEN-ur-us; soo-ee-\, adjective:
Being the only example of its kind; constituting a class of its own; unique.
Whether it be recognized as such now, or not, Stephanie has given us a gift. As is frequently the case with quality art, it may take the world to some time to catch up."
30th August, 2006
El Negro Magnifico says:
"Steph's photos bring me such joy. I haven't actually met her, but I can tell she's a beautiful woman inside and out. Seeing the world through her lens puts a positive spin on my often bleak view of things.
Whether her subjects are natural foods, her super-photogenic cat, or her very attractive self, she captures beauty. So there. :)"
4th July, 2006
Laurie York says:
"strph's photos continue to amaze me! To be able to turn seemingly ordinary moments into sensory- heightened photos is pure art. strph's intimate self-portraits, dry wit, and quirky way of seeing reality are just part of what make her photos so sensational. There's a burning clarity and soulfulness to strph's images that intrigues me. I think she deserves some kind of Flickr award for outstanding creative chronicling. Besides all this, strph is a sincere viewer of my photos and her generous and sensitive comments make me so happy to know her and be a part of Flickr-World!"
10th April, 2006
"Steph, my sister, is a sweet, demure, eclectic girl who fancies taking pictures more than I do. Shes always had blue eyes and blonde hair (well there was that one time) and has always had strong opinions. Love you NeeNee"
22nd September, 2005
- Stephanie D.
- November 2004
- Oklahoma City, OK
- I am:
- Studio Manager for cgandolfo.com
- tweet tweet