"Art is whatever makes you proud to be human."
I’m 36, male, married and from Germany.
create your own visited countries map
or vertaling Duits Nederlands
I’m head of the Göttinger Digitization Centre, somewhat popular for our online version of the Gutenberg Bible.
One can call me a late bloomer concerning photography. I did lots of other artsy stuff (music, webdesign and filmmaking) before, but my first noticeable pictures date from 1999. I joined Flickr in spring 2005, my colleague netomer said this would be the place to be.
I wasn’t impressed at all.
In July I stumbled into deleteme!, and things changed. I loved the combination of contest, excellence, nastiness and - humor. Good old days, I spent hours laughing about KKs comments. Nowadays – well.
What I do like:
All kind of experiments and unusual styles. IMHO it’s more interesting to try something uncommon even if it does not work out than to shoot the 500. “landscape at dawn” pic.
Heavy PS-editing. I’m addicted to Photoshop and always keen to find interesting new effects. Especially to simulate “vintage analog” stuff like my quite complex Lithprint filters. Sad thing: I’m the only one who likes them, but I can live with that.
Iconographic style: most of my pics are concentrated on one object, subject, contrast, theme.
All kinds of competition. No pain – no gain, no guts – no glory.
What I don’t like:
People (especially at deleteme!) who shout OVEREXPOSED! BLOWN OUT! UNDEREXPOSED! 1/3 RULE! when it’s quite obvious that the specific effect was nothing but intended. They may say “I do not like your approach” but anything like “go play by the rules” offends my intellect.
Realism freaks. Photography is a snapshot per definition, just a small section of the surrounding reality. Two dimensions – depth and time - are always missing. So any debate reading “keep the realism” is pointless. At times e.g. I love pop-art, and I show it.
- Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden 491 photos, 62 members
- Fuji X100 & X100s Germany 3,831 photos, 217 members
- Abstract Photos 111,824 photos, 18,788 members
- Fuji x100s 35,808 photos, 3,744 members
- Holocaust Mahnmal Berlin 1,571 photos, 624 members
- PORTUGAL UNLIMITED / Portugal Sem Limites 93,818 photos, 3,416 members
- re:publica 2011 483 photos, 41 members
- HIPSTER 1,958 photos, 435 members
- Mac Addicts 32,608 photos, 7,990 members
- Say NO to the new Flickr logo 157 photos, 193 members
- Erfurt/Thüringen 5,057 photos, 273 members
- Polarize & LOFI 34,817 photos, 5,752 members
- #3/...flickrjob's third 3,495 photos, 188 members
- Ministract 34,378 photos, 1,122 members
- all but one 12,842 photos, 1,573 members
- The JURORS / Different Personalities, Different Views (Closed) 6,432 photos, 3,792 members
- Bremen 12,919 photos, 954 members
- Getty Images and the Flickr Collection (closed) 94,572 photos, 2,832 members
- Getty Images on Flickr 0 photos, 16,539 members
- Caspar David Friedrich Inspiration 73 photos, 52 members
- Barcelona 196,311 photos, 11,214 members
- Before or After (not now) 489 photos, 122 members
- Better Than Good - Level 1 (p1/a5) 485,203 photos, 44,940 members
- LGBT 22,722 photos, 3,006 members
- GAY DAY 7,072 photos, 718 members
- Favorites: 200 1,911 photos, 1,269 members
- 200+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two) 3,119 photos, 1,041 members
- Color Street Photography [Photos of People Only] 12,613 photos, 5,472 members
- HCSP (Hardcore Street Photography) 2,842 photos, 56,189 members
- The Gallery Of Fine PORTRAIT Photography [DISCONTINUED] 35,276 photos, 5,519 members
- Cuba - todo a lo Cubano 70,096 photos, 3,867 members
- Havana / La Habana 22,258 photos, 1,434 members
- We say NO to VIDEOS on FLICKR 917 photos, 23,008 members
- Arche 14 photos, 11 members
- LöschMich! Wie ein Phoenix aus der Asche! 10 photos, 105 members
- Zoo 183,563 photos, 10,088 members
- GRAFFITI NATION 378,199 photos, 6,879 members
- Matt Kloskowski Presets Group 1,989 photos, 1,008 members
- ALMOST !! 209 photos, 69 members
- Cultural Boxes 79,342 photos, 2,710 members
- concrete beauty 15,358 photos, 1,733 members
- The Duel Group (pool reserved for duel winners) 3,003 photos, 2,189 members
- Art Of Seeing 362 photos, 1,079 members
- Favorites: 150 1,101 photos, 883 members
- Passionately Pink for the Cure 66,718 photos, 13,269 members
- Cologne 24,873 photos, 1,899 members
- The Pritzker Architecture Prize on Flickr (Post 1 - Award 4) 109,296 photos, 13,299 members
- Offenbach 689 photos, 58 members
- Babies 120,462 photos, 12,526 members
- Funny Baby & Kids 59,076 photos, 6,704 members
"creative in every direction!
every uploaded shot shows great eye for composition, colors and emotion. it's emotion, what let some of his shots stand out. they transport feelings, emotions and invite to interpret.
one shot at a time. it's not quantity, it's quality that dominates his stream. there is the tension, that the next one will be different and/or better or just another "beauty" to look at.
not many photographers are that skilled in using photoshop as a tool in the chain of producing an image. take his lith print style - it's not about fixin' something, it's about making someting new - somthing unique.
i'm pretty sure, that i will stay what i'm right now - a allegiant visitor of his work.
even deleteme! likes him ;-)"
20th November, 2005
- Ralf Stockmann
- July 2005
- New York, United States
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Ralf Stockmann Photography