The State Library of New South Wales' major subject strengths are Australian history, culture and literature, including Aboriginal studies, Antarctic exploration, family history and genealogy, business and management, social sciences, applied science, biography, health and law.
The State Library is home to one of Australia’s most significant historical and heritage collections. As well as nearly 11 kilometres of manuscripts – from nine 1788 First Fleet journals through to the archives of contemporary organisations and writers – the Library holds more than one million photographs. From the earliest surviving photograph taken in Australia – in January 1845 – through to digital photographs taken last month, the Library’s unrivalled photographic collections document with powerful clarity the way Australians have lived their lives over two centuries. You can find out more about the State Library's photographic collections on our website: www.sl.nsw.gov.au/about/collections/photographs.html
More broadly the Library’s collecting reach spans a multitude of platforms: the Library’s mission is to collect, preserve and make accessible the documentary heritage of New South Wales. It holds over 5 million items including books, oil paintings, watercolours, architectural plans, engravings & lithographs, magazines and periodicals, posters, ephemera, sheet music, talking books, maps, CD-ROMs, newspapers, microfilm and microfiche, films and videos, computer software, kits, sound recordings, photographs, coins, postage stamps and other objects.
As well as the images on Flickr Commons, Public Library Services staff have added images of public libraries to Flickr to provide ideas and inspiration for New South Wales public library staff who are planning changes to their libraries. These images will help with plans for renovations and rebuilding.
There are also two groups to enable public libraries to share images of their libraries with each other. One group is for New South Wales public libraries to add their images to, and the other is for public libraries from the rest of Australia and the world.
Follow us on Twitter @statelibrarynsw
Photos of State Library of New South Wales collection (7)
State Library of New South Wales collection's favorite photos from other Flickr members (14)
- Vintage Photographs of Shopfronts 223 photos, 58 members
- Victorian Hotels 122 photos, 19 members
- British Royal Families 4,843 photos, 320 members
- Cities and people 759 photos, 91 members
- ShutterStreet 2,366 photos, 420 members
- St Mary’s Cathedral, Sydney 564 photos, 64 members
- Historical Places -P1/C1 16,393 photos, 1,304 members
- Portrait of society 702 photos, 279 members
- PLYM Magazine 66,017 photos, 3,110 members
- Ferries Across Australia 1,835 photos, 103 members
- Wharves around the World 1,464 photos, 97 members
- Our Dog Photography - High Quality Petography - NEW CONTEST! 11,739 photos, 1,368 members
- Vintage Fun 765 photos, 52 members
- "Hand Feeding"Humans Feeding Animals,Birds,Any Living Creature 673 photos, 302 members
- Early Photography in the British Empire 1,431 photos, 92 members
- Women in Aviation 28 photos, 7 members
- I shoot paper 2,803 photos, 484 members
- Dated Vintage Photographs (pre 1945) 4,654 photos, 280 members
- Weather Worldwide 25,812 photos, 1,525 members
- NATURE MAGIC/ POST 1 COMMENT 3 7,130 photos, 612 members
- Vintage pics 15,870 photos, 364 members
- This Vintage Life 1,686 photos, 45 members
- Persone people людзі lidé mennesker ihmiset gens άνθρ 46,656 photos, 2,851 members
- Behind the scenes of ballet.... 6 photos, 6 members
- Blue Mountains, Hawkesbury and Central Tablelands 6,402 photos, 247 members
- Memories: Capturing Experiences 61,559 photos, 523 members
- Natural Ice Formations 2,429 photos, 809 members
- Best Pictures of The World 24,428 photos, 1,099 members
- ccarbon ccopy 472 photos, 64 members
- ART NOUVEAU ð Best collection in the world 10,803 photos, 987 members
- Me and The Powerhouse Museum 1,537 photos, 209 members
- All beautiful shots 3,929 photos, 287 members
- Taller Than It's Wide 4,918 photos, 400 members
- Latent Beauty 532 photos, 80 members
- Industrial! 8,149 photos, 556 members
- A Black and White World 20,807 photos, 336 members
- If its Not Punk its Junk 761 photos, 164 members
- Australian Railway and Tram Photographers 4,451 photos, 37 members
- !Your Best Animal Photo ~~Award 2 51,244 photos, 3,008 members
- We want Flickr with a DARK BACKGROUND!! (NOT PHOTO) 8 photos, 11,748 members
- Objects-Nesneler (New) 3,744 photos, 399 members
- Awesome Photoss 855 photos, 117 members
- when I fall in love ... 323 photos, 97 members
- Photo is my inspiration *Foto é a minha inspiraçao* P1/C2 11,557 photos, 611 members
- Fantastic Photography [1 post 2 awards] 8,809 photos, 351 members
- INFLUENZA 3 photos, 35 members
- Molto Bella 9,131 photos, 1,106 members
- hayvanlar(animals) 1,398 photos, 300 members
- BOMBEIROS * FIREFIGHTERS 2,973 photos, 345 members
- water reflections... 1,782 photos, 313 members
"I wish to thank the State Library of NSW for making these images available so that we can see from the visual records history in the making.
These prized treasures are a powerful reminder of the legacy that photography plays in the recording of the past and what a contribution the library has played archiving and preserving them for the future.
As with any archive it's only as good as accessibility to it and this has been achieved with admirable success here.
I look forward to the collection being expanded so that more images can be publicly seen and appreciated proving and invaluable resource for all to appreciate."
4th October, 2008
- State Library of New South Wales
- August 2008
- State Library of New South Wales