Like my work? You can buy selected prints here!
icture any group of gathered friends or family. Imagine them wherever you like: at home, a coffee-shop, out hiking. Whatever. Do you have the image? Ok. See the guy who always brings the camera? Hi there!! ::: waves ::: That's me!!
I've been a photographer for over 15 years. Hobbies have come and gone, and sometimes I consider myself a flake when it comes to seeing things through! But photography has always been more than a hobby, and it has survived many of my life's changes.
In today's world, it seems that everything has been said and done. There is always someone out there who has done it 'better' than you. But photography turns this idea upside-down. It's a record of how you: see your world. Of who you are. Flickr has taught me that there will always be somebody who finds your unique world-view interesting. My greatest challenge in photography is getting the finished image to live up to my memory of the scene. Many of the shots that I am most satisfied with, go on to become my highest-rated on Flickr.
Thank you for the outpouring of wonderful comments! It really gives me hope. I have just begun to print and frame my work, and plan to display this year.
Everyday Camera: Fuji X100 (35mm effective/F2)
Assignment work: Canon 30D with...
Walk around lens: Canon EFS 17-85 I.S F4-5.6
Portrait: Canon EF 50mm 1.8 II
Lighting: Canon 430EXII and Vivitar 283 speedlites
Cactus radio triggers
Various umbrellas, reflectors, light stand
Tripod: Manfrotto 3001 legs w/ 488CR2 ballhead
My digital darkroom
Apple iMac Core2 duo - 20" OSX Snow Leopard
Dual external HD's for my photo library and backups.
Spyder Express for monitor calibration.
MacOSaiX (mosaic maker)
I currently shoot in RAW file format, but my older work was shot in JPEG. The Fuji X100 can use in-camera algorithms to alter the JPEG on the fly. Some of my black-and-white images are shot as BW 'in-camera'. Where the RAW is by definition, an unaltered color image.
The photos are first brought into Adobe LightRoom. I use LightRoom as both my digital light-table, and for basic tone, sharpness, and crop functions. The images bound for Flickr go to Photoshop for batch size-reduction, and to add copyright. I will occasionally send an image to Apple's iPhoto to use the built-in effects such as edge softening.
For panoramic and mosaic works, I use AutoPano Pro and MacOSaiX.
Cameras past and present:
Polaroid Square Shooter (my very first!)
Kodak Ektra 1 (my first film cam. 110)
Canon AL-1 SLR (still own)
Olympus Stylus Epic 35mm (still own)
Panasonic PalmCam PVDC1000 (first digital. still own)
Minolta Dimage F100 4mp (lost)
Olympus S600 6mp (my wife's cam. loaned to me for a time)
Voightländer Bessa R2m (sold after 2 years of use)
Canon 30D 8mp (still used for assignments)
Fujifilm Finepix X100 (my everyday cam)
Like these images? Wear them!! Come shop my store for t-shirts, mugs, and more!
Still thirsty for more? Read my ramblings at my blog, "Adrift"!
Follow me at twitter.com/adrift
LIKE me on Facebook here!
- Bokeh Photography (1/day) 114,390 photos, 9,631 members
- Group with Ҽxperience 1,255,811 photos, 194,286 members
- Portrait★Faces 106,586 photos, 42,714 members
- iPhone Camera Shots 398,240 photos, 14,802 members
- Occupy Everywhere 7,858 photos, 697 members
- Human Experience 26,366 photos, 1,120 members
- Photography is not a crime 2,216 photos, 2,534 members
- Fuji X100 Enthusiasts 122,739 photos, 6,864 members
- Finepix X100 and X100s 67,058 photos, 2,902 members
- Fuji X100 99,229 photos, 7,063 members
- ★★★Shutter Bug - Tips & Tricks★★★ 1,052,560 photos, 23,315 members
- Twin Lens Reflex 164,179 photos, 12,895 members
- Leica 401,328 photos, 10,776 members
- The Dark Tower 60 photos, 19 members
- Tattoos 70,553 photos, 20,943 members
- The Real Street Photography 441,458 photos, 12,977 members
- Global Photojournalism 355,835 photos, 22,065 members
- Cosina Voigtlander Nokton Classic 35/1.4 18,983 photos, 1,169 members
- Extreme Bokeh 253,484 photos, 17,751 members
- Lake Hood 224 photos, 33 members
- Tilt-shift Miniature Fakes 66,833 photos, 19,525 members
- Sunday Assignment 78 photos, 45 members
- Film is not Dead!! 1,342,494 photos, 32,938 members
- *Bessa Rangefinders* 42,838 photos, 1,772 members
- The Lo-Fi Camera Club 187,299 photos, 4,986 members
- Voigtlander 89,970 photos, 3,768 members
- Rangefinder Cameras 196,969 photos, 6,802 members
- Alaska Tweets 823 photos, 43 members
- THE POWER OF BLACK AND WHITE 1,664 photos, 147 members
- Tamron Lenses - Official Tag Required 56,039 photos, 2,543 members
- bicycle_culture 68,396 photos, 4,478 members
- 30 SECRETS IN 30 DAYS 5,729 photos, 1,224 members
- Rollei 35 21,113 photos, 2,564 members
- PPA (Professional Photographers of America) 1,587 photos, 200 members
- Professional Photographers of America 250 photos, 28 members
- Anticaccia / Anti-hunting 1,840 photos, 294 members
- Off the Chain AK 27 photos, 4 members
- Monochrome Delight : Post 1 Award 2 7,572 photos, 650 members
- Arctic Flora 711 photos, 104 members
- Election 2008 132 photos, 20 members
- 2008 Presidential Election 10,976 photos, 1,327 members
- !Group Tripod (post1~comment4) 349,492 photos, 16,079 members
- Crystal Award-- Invited Photos Only 86,150 photos, 14,698 members
- *The Best Of The B-E-S-T Post 1/Comment 3 19,385 photos, 4,338 members
- North Central Positronics 130 photos, 93 members
- Ft. Stevens State Park 162 photos, 27 members
- People Portraits 2,094,970 photos, 97,823 members
- Self-Portraits! 470,007 photos, 43,841 members
- Flickr Diamond - Invited Photos ONLY 115,704 photos, 21,896 members
- Flickr 888 4,886 photos, 10,490 members
Lara's Stuff says:
"Get a load of these testimonials! This guys is going to get a swelled head! Seriously I have enjoyed his photographs for sometime now. His photographs are visually pleasing, absolute eye candy. Epic landscapes to great humor & whimsy photos. A collection well worth checking out.
Looking forward to seeing his photos in print all over someday soon."
13th October, 2007
Matthew Fang says:
"What can i say about this man , one of photographer you can learn from him , vevry professed and high quality but this is no't good to say about him .
When I look he's pics i do feel Passion , Patience and Positive . A good pic will tell you a story and to catch peoples to keep an eye on then for long time to savor , taste , Here i do feel that way ,
My friend im so happy to konw you and have you to be my friend good job !!"
15th August, 2007
" Very nice clean clear creative photographs.
Its always fun to watch the photographs and are very imaginative.
A very nice honest and faithful friend to have."
18th May, 2007
"With a unique ability, Steve captures nature in a way that few photographers have. This ability is not limited to nature, but shows his strength there ... there is a clarity and simplicity that allows you to step into his shoes for a few moments.
Keep up the excellent work!"
18th January, 2007
Moni's Vision says:
"SomewhereinAk has the ability to capture his subject in a unique yet simplistic way.
I’ve watched his photography grow from its infancy, and Look forward to his updated photostream daily . Keep up the beautiful work!"
12th January, 2007
"SomewhereinAK has an interesting eye for almost any subject. His shots include nature to abstract and anything in between. He loves to experiment with varied subjects and camera equipment and he has many great shots from his trials.
I would definitely recommend viewing his photostream, it's well worth the visit."
4th January, 2007
- December 2005
- Anchorage, Alaska
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Adrift Photography