Situated at the center of the world's largest museum complex, the Smithsonian Institution Libraries (SIL) forms a vital part of the research, exhibition, and educational enterprise of the Institution. The Smithsonian Institution Libraries unites 20 libraries into one system supported by an online catalog of the combined collections which total approximately 1.5 million printed books and manuscripts.
Today, the Smithsonian Libraries participates in the advancement of science and the arts, just as we have done from the inception of the Institution. Our role vis-à-vis the Institution, the federal government, universities, and the American people has grown, changing to meet the needs of the times. Acting as both public and academic library, as both scholarly resource and general information service, the Libraries offers a galaxy of resources and the help of informed staff to anyone via the Internet or in person.
SIL is part of the Smithsonian Flickr Commons. Please visit us there.
Photos of Smithsonian Libraries (4)
Smithsonian Libraries' favorite photos from other Flickr members (5)
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art 19,554 photos, 2,377 members
- LIGHT Fixture (s) 1,959 photos, 419 members
- Biodiversity Heritage Library 1,449 photos, 23 members
- 2010 Smithsonian Folklife Festival 412 photos, 34 members
- Bringing Caldwell to Light 61 photos, 10 members
- Flickr Commons 2,098 photos, 1,783 members
- Family Weddings and Other Blessed Events 376 photos, 99 members
- Smithsonian 2.0 Conference 339 photos, 37 members
- Pith Helmets 3,942 photos, 192 members
- SIL 40th Anniversary Kickoff Party 9 photos, 1 member
Smithsonian Libraries doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Smithsonian Institution Libraries
- March 2007