Since childhood I have been interested in photography, but it was always too expensive to have your film developed and printed. Unfortunately I don't have any room to make a dark room on my own either. So when I bought my first digital camera about 4 years ago, I was happy like a kid in heaven. Snapping away, taking pics of everything that moved and didn't move. ;o)
2 Years later, I upgraded to Fujifilm Finepix S7000 and it was a huge improvement. Another year later I was in the decadent position to buy myself a Nikon D-70, sponsored majorly by my parents. And I thank them from the bottom of my heart that I was able to take this step, that I never dreamed was possible so soon.
In 2010 I bought myself a Nikon D-90, yet another improvement in digital imaging technology. The Nikonator (D-70) will still act as my back up camera. But she has taken so many pictures that she behaves like a tired old lady sometimes. And I like younger women better. ;o)
The fun thing about photography is that you can still learn from yourself and others every day. And that is what I am doing through talking to people on sites like flickr.
All photography is copyright © Eelco Kruidenier. All Rights Reserved Worldwide. None of these photographs may be reproduced and/or disclosed publicly in any way, shape or form without the written permission of Eelco Kruidenier. Write me at kruidenier.e(at)ziggo.nl if you wish to use one of my images.
(Yeah right, as if someone here on Flickr or anywhere else gives a rat's ass about that copyright statement. hehehe...)
"And when you rejoiced they saw you smiling at your rejoicing
When you wept they saw you smiling at your weeping
When you smiled they saw you smiling at your smiling
And you said "That's the way I've survived these years of dust and
blood." - Johnny Clegg -
"Shit happens, life sucks, and then your battery dies" - Fotomom -
"It is not my problem. But if people make it their problem, then I am fine with it. And that still does not make it my problem."
- Haags Bakkie 941 photos, 190 members
- Reflektionen 200 photos, 44 members
- Photographing Children with Special Needs 1,055 photos, 203 members
- Meetup De Rijp 2013 89 photos, 17 members
- THE J. PAUL GETTY MUSEUM 3,893 photos, 161 members
- Meet-Up Gorinchem 242 photos, 17 members
- MalinesGraphique 4,115 photos, 156 members
- We want Flickr with a DARK BACKGROUND!! (NOT PHOTO) 8 photos, 11,743 members
- A Sausage Obsession 199 photos, 52 members
- Wiki loves art /NL 4,405 photos, 291 members
- Flickr Photo Meet Up Groningen 24 may/ 24 mei 2009. 405 photos, 27 members
- Discovery Photos: Post 1, Vote for 3 567,371 photos, 28,063 members
- The Unforgettable Pictures ~ Post 1, Comment 3 ~ NEW RULES!! 256,809 photos, 30,246 members
- Urca 370 photos, 63 members
- Parking Lot Photography 1,713 photos, 286 members
- Flickr's cooking photo's. 57 photos, 26 members
- *THE PERFECT PHOTOGRAPHER (P1/A2) 871,523 photos, 52,583 members
- ~New Envy of Flickr!~ Post 1 Comment 2 64,625 photos, 9,188 members
- Castlefest 12,095 photos, 226 members
- Ancient Egyptian Sarcophagi and Mummy Masks 2,199 photos, 218 members
- alan's psychedelic breakfast 5,182 photos, 1,034 members
- Plus+ 17,232 photos, 1,432 members
- A+++ Photo (Post 1, Give 3 awards ONLY) Not commenting = Ban 509,381 photos, 28,363 members
- FOTO Meet up Zwolle 18 MEI. 283 photos, 20 members
- Color Photo Award - PREMIER -- Post 1: Give 2 - Get 5: Go BRONZE 206,356 photos, 31,779 members
- We say NO to VIDEOS on FLICKR 917 photos, 23,009 members
- Æ ARTISTIC EXPRESSION at Admin invitation (pls aw 1) 9,098 photos, 10,503 members
- The Flickr Portrait Gallery 319,313 photos, 20,742 members
- Leiden Meetups 275 photos, 27 members
- Wunderkammer 10,658 photos, 1,076 members
- Meet-ups Rotterdam 3,848 photos, 201 members
- Naturalis 513 photos, 71 members
- Experimentation 135,646 photos, 10,936 members
- Photowalk Belgium 16,920 photos, 548 members
- The Ancient World 39,065 photos, 1,527 members
- FishEye 130,596 photos, 13,023 members
- Sigma 10mm F2.8 EX DC Fisheye 4,881 photos, 684 members
- *Flickrmeet Nederland* 2,993 photos, 390 members
- Blue Ribbon PHOTOGRAPHY (INVITE ONLY) 285,562 photos, 42,638 members
- De Doka (1 foto/1 comment) 212,333 photos, 2,328 members
- a fair price 497 photos, 311 members
- CUADROS Y MONUMENTOS/ART-PICTURES & MONUMENTS(POST 1,COMMENT 1) 35,079 photos, 4,272 members
- DIGIFOTO Pro 446,580 photos, 14,096 members
- Portrait Award (Invited only) 46,930 photos, 20,290 members
- wheelchairs 10,113 photos, 2,023 members
- Oud-Mechelen 319 photos, 69 members
- Leuven 14,579 photos, 608 members
- Flickrzoo 1,380 photos, 150 members
- National Geographic: Are You Good Enough? Post 1, Nominate 3 1,128,958 photos, 73,212 members
- Ljómi *a ray of light* Welcome 47,383 photos, 4,023 members
"Smiling...a man with a big heart! Funny,gentle and most of all: a very caring person! Thanks Co!"
28th September, 2008
"A great photographer and friend. An afternoon with Eelco equals great pictures and an all round good time."
2nd June, 2008
"Ok.. today was the first time that i stop to read about my sweet Smiling..
I was thinking before, to ask for him how long time he works like "photographer".. so my question and probably your question will be answering in his profile. So.. its amazing the magic that he does with his camera.
He can register the fun, the quiet, the silence, the dead, the live, the nature, the caos, the magic.. all the things in his own way.
I found Smiling da Vinci in fotologgers.. and i will never imagine that after almost three years i will found him , here too.
Friends forever my smiling
17th March, 2008
"One of my most fun and admired friends in Flickr, smiling_da_vinci is a great photographer, of which his other testimonials speak very truthfully, I want to add that he is a great friend ....I was touched that he was disappointed I did not call on him in my recent trip to Amsterdam, he takes time to add thoughtful funny comment on my photos, and is one of my favorite friends on Flickr!!!!"
28th November, 2007
"Co, (neefje, ik ben ouder)
Ik moet je bedanken, je hebt mij gewezen op Flickr.com, en ik heb er enorm veel plezier in.
Co je bent een goede fotograaf ( ja wat wil je, je hebt ook een betere camera dan ik...lol).
Je bent creatief, niet alleen in het maken van foto's maar ook in het geven van commentaar...
Ga zo door......
Genoeg gelult anders streel ik je echo te veel.......
Groeten van je NEEF.....
18th January, 2007
"Eelco is a Renaissance Man in the true meaning of the expression. His passion for learning, the arts and the world around him reflect this. He is a gentleman with a compassionate soul who has helped so many in so many different ways. He is fortunate in that he has been able to combine his passions and hobbies with his work. Not too many people can do that. I am honoured to call him my friend."
24th December, 2006
"Eelco heb ik leren kennen op een meeting...Hij is ontzettend lief voor andere mensen..soms kan hij ook plagend zijn maar dat vind ik juist leuk in hem...Hij geeft ook geinige comments...Zijn werk bij Naturalis vind hij volgens mij heel leuk..
Smiling ik hoop je nog weer tegen te komen op meetings..maar dat zal vast lukken..Groetjes..Kisje...
Ps..als je het in het engels wil..vertaal je het voor me?"
12th December, 2006
"Eelco is niet alleen een kei-goede fotograaf, met een originele kijk op de dingen - sinds onze ontmoeting op de Flickrmeeting in 'mijn' Mechelen wéét ik dat hij een toffe knul is!
Nu 'blader' ik met nog méér plezier in z'n 'foto-album'!"
24th November, 2006
"Smilie is a Dutch Master photographer who works magic in the pictures that are full of his perception, kindness, and empathy. He has special affections in hearts of many inclusive mine."
6th September, 2006
"I always sorprise with your pictures..."
8th May, 2006
"he is the person in flickr that i know who have more testimonials than any other contact of mine. they must have said everything. so, there is nothing left for me.
[sorry for my english, eelco. =)]"
27th January, 2006
"Always interesting in his point of view, Mr. Vinci lives up to his predecessor's reputation for being an iconoclast (but a kinder, gentler one) who produces thought-provoking yet beautiful images."
24th December, 2005
"I have been a fan and a friend online at fotolog and now flickr of Eelco aka smiling_da_vinci for a long while. He shows his humanity and friendship always, and he is truly a wonderful person and an excellent photographer. I have followed his journey through good times and some bad. I have felt the outpouring of people’s emotion towards him, through this sometimes-cold network, it amazing. How does he manage to send such meaning and personal warmth is something magical and special. I am richer for knowing him. smiling_da_vinci is magical. Thanks friend!"
8th October, 2005
22nd August, 2005
Very great person!
I very much enjoy his work!
29th July, 2005
angel of the odd says:
"there is a good reason he uses the word "smiling". his images and comments invoke a grin on my face every time.
his candor is a rarity in this day and age and i for one appreciate it to no end."
20th June, 2005
"What can I say about dear Co?
He's the way he is! And so are his photos. He sees thinks and takes photos everywhere (although...have never seen a toiletshot, or did I miss that? LOL).
But he can also play with a photo and make something even more beautifull of it.
And he's a nice person in real!
Anyway: I love him and his work."
20th June, 2005
"I can only think that his nickname is exactly who he is. This "da vinci" has been a consistent positive force within flickr for quite a while and has taken the time to comment on photos (even for us "newbies"), greatfully appreciated."
2nd May, 2005
"Eelco aka Smiling Da Vinci aka Cootje is one of my oldest and dearest friends from fotolog and flickr. He is one of the sweetest guys you will ever meet in your life! Warm, caring, sensitive and a very passionate photographer! His fotos in the house of in particular 'things you can eat' are the best i think! They are made in a way that you want to lick your screen, lol! Keep it up smiley! Very very nice to have met you:*"
15th April, 2005
"I love checking out Eelco's photos, you never quite know what you're going to see!
So many amazing and interesting surprises :o)
Seeing the world through his eyes is a wonderful journey that all can enjoy - his warmth, humor and kindness glows from his work!
Now go check 'em out and enjoy the trip..."
13th April, 2005
"By looking at Co's photography, we can view the world the way he sees it. He is able to find beauty in anything - whether it be a burning sunset, a glittering crystal, or something as simple as a biscuit :) His ability to see beauty, his warmth, kindness and cheerfulness is delivered to us through his photographs, creating a wonderful feeling!"
12th February, 2005
- November 2004
- Voorschoten, The Netherlands
- I am:
- Male and Single