Here I consider my flickr stream to be a photo log. My main goal here is to post at least one image a day. Hopefully, this isn't "quantity over quality," but rather a privileging of seriality and predictability over inspiration and artistic revelation.
Databases. When I was a child my mother kept all of our photos in one large cabinet. (A few of these have been scanned and moved to the back of my photostream) There were too many photos for the cabinet so when you opened the doors they spilled out and you ended looking at whatever ended up on the floor.
There's something wonderful about flickr in that all of the photos still seem to be random, you could chance upon anything, but now because images can be tagged they can also be easily retrieved from their randomness. The combination of order and disorder in the database rules.
Ones and zeros. I got my first digital camera in 2001, an Olympus D-490 which took great photos. I bought a canon powershot sd500 in 2005 this has a great sensor and it gives great crisp contrasty images. In 2006 I got a panasonic fz7 because I wanted control (shutter speed, aperture) but I was afraid I wouldn't carry around a heavy slr( the fz7 weighs about 11 ounces).
Then at the same time I got a dslr (the pentax k10d), I also got interested in low res digital photography, I've also been using a vivitar mini digital camera, an oregon scientific, and the famous vistaquest vq1005. Also an old Pentax Ei-100. After my K10d died in 2012, I'm now using a Fujifilm X-Pro1.
Subject. I shoot a lot of my photos in Northeast Portland which is in the US state of Oregon. Because of its low density, high number of artists, weak economy, and liberal attitudes, Northeast Portland has been fairly successful at resisting the bland corporate aesthetic widespread in so many other parts of the United States.
Me. When I was a child and they invented emoticons, I thought they were for children. I didn't realize that they were trying to bridge the emotional void of the computer. So predictably I had a lot of trouble in the 90s with people misinterpreting my flat internet tone as hostility. Now I try to be as positive on flickr as I can. So if you think I've used too many exclamation points I'm sorry, but for me it's better than the alternative!! ie it's better than you thinking I said something hostile.
Photos of skomra (8)
- Fujinon XF18mm F2 2,575 photos, 290 members
- Fujinon XF14mm F2.8 339 photos, 88 members
- The democratic photograph 6,541 photos, 315 members
- Roadside America 42,118 photos, 1,451 members
- Arboreal Dreams 5,991 photos, 320 members
- Just nothing 1,371 photos, 70 members
- Lyric Documentary 7,053 photos, 637 members
- Central Oregon 3,134 photos, 215 members
- Unplaces 18,711 photos, 754 members
- Mirrorless Movement 9,005 photos, 175 members
- A Sense of Place 11,520 photos, 288 members
- Genderfuck 1,020 photos, 759 members
- Yahoo! Studios: The Weekly Flickr Photos 8,878 photos, 2,524 members
- Landscape of Fear 0 photos, 1 member
- New Topographics 45,020 photos, 1,276 members
- Stephen Shore 9,879 photos, 612 members
- dumpster love ™ 1,307 photos, 142 members
- FUJIFILM X-Pro 11,238 photos, 405 members
- MOON Shots 87,300 photos, 21,722 members
- Pixelated Reality 1 photo, 1 member
- Fuji X-Mount Portrait 2,626 photos, 229 members
- Linux Flickrs 15,966 photos, 1,170 members
- Fuji X-Pro 1 & XE-1 by Fujifilm 61,677 photos, 4,115 members
- pavement 63,649 photos, 13,337 members
- Fujinon XF35mm F1.4 15,483 photos, 862 members
- Fuji X-Pro1 30,265 photos, 1,530 members
- Car greenwashing 19 photos, 8 members
- Greenwashing 19 photos, 40 members
- Urban Writing Portland 1 photo, 1 member
- Urban Writing 1 photo, 1 member
- Street Photography 121,720 photos, 27,514 members
- Skomra's family Photos 18 photos, 1 member
- ICM - Intentional Camera Movement - NEW Moderators promoted 22,976 photos, 2,626 members
- Toy Cameras 293,795 photos, 20,599 members
- Whistle Blower 3,974 photos, 177 members
- Low Res Portrait 6 photos, 1 member
- Lartiguery 192 photos, 29 members
- Laughing Man 24 photos, 4 members
- Blue Sky Dichromatic 2,537 photos, 1,204 members
- Tiny Wonders 363 photos, 54 members
- VistaQuest 1015 users 2,430 photos, 187 members
- Scan Lines 200 photos, 30 members
- Ghost World 343 photos, 5,951 members
- The Bush Years 0 photos, 1 member
- PDX (Portland) Wheelchair and Other ways to Rock Your Disability 106 photos, 23 members
- The Pearl II 2 photos, 1 member
- Power 0 photos, 1 member
- Scribes 1,344 photos, 469 members
- Vistaquest VQ3005 digi toy keychain cam 176 photos, 32 members
- Olywa - Photos & Images from Olympia Washington 6,733 photos, 235 members
"Skomra was one of my ealiest contacts on flickr, and of all my contacts his photosensibility is the closest to my own. (Except he's not as big an asshole as me).
I feel the tinge of a friendly competition when I see his photos, not the the outdo the other person type that fuels pointless rivalries, but the "I need to live up to this" feeling you get when you start a kickass garage band with your friend."
6th August, 2008
"skomra is my favourite on flickr and should be yours too."
17th April, 2008
- Aaron Armstrong Skomra
- February 2006
- Buffalo, NY, US
- Portland, Oregon, US
- I am:
- Computer Science Related
- Low Res