I am a New Yorker, living in Manhattan, and as my stream will tell you, am completely in love with New York City.
I am a writer, working on my first novel, but photography is a real passion of mine. I never leave the house without my camera. I have never had any formal training in Photography, but cannot imagine not taking pictures. Ever.
I am what my pictures say I am. With me, what you see is what you get and then some...
I am just now starting to sell some of my art on Redbubble.
If there is something particular you are interested in, please email me.
IF YOU WOULD RATHER DEAL WITH ME DIRECTLY IN PURCHASING SOME OF MY ART, PLEASE JUST EMAIL ME ON HERE AND WE CAN WORK SOMETHING OUT.
- Creepy everything 1,636 photos, 200 members
- HALLOWEEN WORLDWIDE 32,399 photos, 6,350 members
- Boats 247,144 photos, 21,668 members
- fire hydrants 3,630 photos, 861 members
- Painting with Acrylics 3,146 photos, 354 members
- Cut 'n' Paste 28,395 photos, 1,314 members
- Photomontage 28,080 photos, 2,581 members
- T-Shirts I luv 667 photos, 135 members
- Collage Kids 37,606 photos, 2,340 members
- Collage Crazy 86,788 photos, 6,396 members
- I Make Collages 35,924 photos, 2,099 members
- collage casual 6,260 photos, 276 members
- Collage for beginners (like me...) 15,599 photos, 1,783 members
- Seasons on me 30,926 photos, 1,430 members
- Nikon Coolpix Users (formerly Addicts) Group 70,571 photos, 1,981 members
- Portraits Only 157,638 photos, 9,064 members
- Chinatown 28,422 photos, 6,425 members
- Cityscape and urban scenary 64,365 photos, 2,532 members
- trains 222,771 photos, 9,417 members
- Train Photography 138,183 photos, 4,881 members
- Project 365 1,652,348 photos, 27,739 members
- Android Photographer 45,265 photos, 3,642 members
- 365 Days Project 489,116 photos, 9,072 members
- Sunrise and Sunset 105,015 photos, 7,951 members
- After Dark - Night Photography 477,913 photos, 31,586 members
- Night Lights 540,986 photos, 51,303 members
- Night Images 906,948 photos, 115,955 members
- FLICKR NIGHTSHOTS 3,436 photos, 277 members
- No Flash Pictures, 135 members 2,598 photos, 135 members
- Bokeh-holics Anonymous 138,345 photos, 7,576 members
- Countryside & Nature 61,031 photos, 1,899 members
- Countryside 38,635 photos, 2,086 members
- Landscapes of the World 297,647 photos, 11,592 members
- Landscape 812,910 photos, 74,334 members
- Landscape Beauty ! 623,045 photos, 28,644 members
- Landscapes!!! 180,411 photos, 12,326 members
- Rural Photos 24,487 photos, 920 members
- Barns and Farms 14,166 photos, 1,059 members
- Farmland 7,975 photos, 487 members
- Life On The Farm 16,647 photos, 1,341 members
- Farm and farmer 38,003 photos, 3,614 members
- New England Photo 46,925 photos, 1,548 members
- Anything Abandoned 6,905 photos, 145 members
- Eerie, creepy or spooky places 95,074 photos, 6,758 members
- "Old Barns" 3,417 photos, 420 members
- Barns 43,448 photos, 4,649 members
- ~~~~~~~~ High Voltage ~~~~~~~~~~ 1,874 photos, 295 members
- The beauty of the electricity pillar 483 photos, 137 members
- High Line Park 3,724 photos, 393 members
- Massachusetts Life (Photo & Video) 37,483 photos, 1,310 members
"Truth, I always like your photography since the second i saw one of your uploads.
You are truly in touch with your feeling and you're not shy to share with the rest of the world I love that about you it shows a strength that few are able to carry please never loose that ability.
Truth Manhattan girl with no real name given :) you are a true artist!!!!!!"
17th January, 2011
bob merco says:
"I know I like Shelley's work because it fits into a category that covers the domestic to the bizarre. Her work brings back memories of my growing up in New York and I know if I were there now I would explore the very places she photographs. I always look forward to her comments and critiques. If I ever visit NYC you can be sure I will look her up."
4th December, 2010
Lord V.™ says:
"My favorite newyorker, what else can i say?, i am a big follower of everything she does with the camera, she's got the touch, rebel, funny, fragile, she is a woman i cherish and respect, thank you for allowing me to be in your flikckr universe dear friend!"
27th October, 2010
"Amazing talent for taken glimpes of time through the viewfinder of her camera......a wonderful woman....an proud to call a friend..!!!!"
7th July, 2010
pam's pics- says:
"Shelly is an amazing photographer. She puts her soul and heart into every single picture that she shoots. She has such love for her city of NYC and her images show that love.
She's not afraid to show her vulnerable side and lay out her emotions for everyone to see.
She always has time to comment on other's shots. I have seen her get better and better in the time she has been my contact. I am always looking forward to seeing her images.
Do yourself a favor- if you haven't seen her work yet- do it.
You won't be disappointed
31st March, 2010
"Photographer, writer, designer, artist, best friend, confidant, lover, and so much more to me…There are so many ways beyond words in which Shells has left an impression upon me; but I shall try my best here.
Shelly can tell a story with a single photograph which could fill several hundred pages within a book. The courage she possesses to take a completely unadulterated look at herself and her life, through photography as a medium, is completely astonishing and highly inspirational. Her photostream is so well balanced, containing a wonderful mixture of everyday life, humor, and self reflection; but its all art! She is also one of the best and most loyal contacts you will ever have on Flickr.
I can praise Shelly’s work for several more paragraphs, but take a look for yourself; to take shots of everyday monotony, and create something spectacular is a testament of her talent! She has influenced my work more than she will ever know, and for that, I’m so grateful."
22nd January, 2010
"Whenever I am interested in viewing photographs that are interesting, unique, beautiful (in a unique Shelley way) introspective and highly controversial I turn towards the woman with a world of talent ShelleyKayCullen. And I look at her work every day over again. I find her (your) work so intelligent and so unique it is a must see for anyone looking to develop their own style. One day she should publish a book as I believe it would be extremely successful. Her talent and style put her far above anyone I have seen on flickr. Good luck to Shelley and I would be the first to buy a her book."
21st December, 2009
bshotz....in ~ out says:
"Where to begin with a self-proclaimed laid back, kick-ass kind of girl. That's starting with the bar set pretty high.
But it is actually the perfect starting point. What lands Shelly in such a special place as a person and an artist is a rare blend of qualities - confidence, wit, candor, charm, passion, and compassion (to name a few) - that spill across her stream daily and compel people to connect with her world through her vision. And for Shelly it is seemingly all about a soul-driven vision.
She will be the first to tell you that she is possessor of minimal technical know-how, even as she consistently posts images that are met with the highest praise for their evocative impact. This is because Shelly is the embodiment of the argument that meaningful art is born from an expression of the inner self, however it is brought to light. In short, leave the jargon to camera buffs...and the art to artists.
Having said all that, I would be remiss if I didn't reveal Shelly's 'dirty little secret' (really no secret at all to those familiar with her work). She is a BRILLIANT cross-processor and post production specialist. And it is through the use of these skills that she transforms the everday into visually arresting imagery that invites some of the most engaging and witty threads of commentary on Flickr.
I have actually had the pleasure of shooting along side Shelly in New York. And the one thing from that experience that stood out above all else will come as no surprise to those who have come to know and love her...it was her complete sense of ease and connectedness to the city she loves so dearly as she composed yet another chapter in her ongoing visual autobiography. There was an effortlessness and fluidity to her movement that one would expect from an artist whose life's work streams across their monitor day after day like well-crafted cinema...never feeling forced, and yet defying predictability.
Shelly Kay holds one of the keys to the inner world of an artist that remains elusive to many of us...the ability to allow the self and art to merge into one. She can knock down all the pretenses, forget what the other person is doing, ignore what art is 'supposed' to look like, and just let her expressions become EXTENSIONS of her person. She is as genuine as they come, and I am so glad I have a place in her world."
6th December, 2009
Ed Melia says:
"Flickr is absolutely drenched in talent, I could spend the rest of my life looking through this window at the extraordinary shots from all over the world. But what makes Shelly so special is that her shots are so unique and have their own utterly distinctive style; she's a true artist who bares her heart and soul and presents a tapestry of what real life is like in the most famous city on the planet. She's like a character from a De Lillo novel. The documentary style of this most non-fairytale of stories is a remarkable testament to her energy, candour and outstanding talent. I love to get some music on - Einaudi, Sigur Ros, Beth Orton, LCD Soundsystem, Hybrid, Velvets - and just hit the slideshow. In another time Shelly's apartment would have A.I.R. on it and the City would be paying her rent - that should happen now, cos I've never seen New York - and a devastatingly astonishingly extraordinary artist - represented in such a manifestation of what feels so real, with nothing hidden from how she sees the entirety of her world."
30th November, 2009
"Shelly is very gifted !!! Rarely have i ever met someone who is so transparent / honest / heartfelt and a joy to know. Her body of work is as diverse as the city that she lives in.
I am always inspired by her work and it was because of her photostream i took my entire family to NY. , and was blessed with one of the best weekends ever ... although i was not able to meet her in person with cameras at the ready ... i hope that we will be able to in the future go on a camera day trip.
Shelly your devotion to your art is astonishing and continually forces me to take a harder look at my own art, and even to question it with fierce honesty and heart. You are a great reminder for learning to live life one day at a time ... and if need be 1 hour at a time. My prayers are with you and thank you
13th October, 2009
The Outhouse says:
"Probably the most inspirational photo stream I have ever viewed, It had an immediate effect on me. This lady has a true raw natural talent for the Arts, and it is written all over her photography. I like an image that tells a story one that can capture me within the image even for the shortest of moments, one that conveys a message and invokes a reaction. ShellyKayCullen Images do this and more, they are honest true to life ART and they ooze emotion.
I now plan to be a bit more brave in my photography, I have up until now used Painting as my main Artistic and emotional outlet however this Lady has inspired me onto better things THANKS.
Go have a look for yourself you will not be dissapointed."
20th July, 2009
- June 2009
- I am:
- Female and Single
- I'm bored with this question