All Images Copyright - Steve Harper - 2010. All Rights Reserved. No images may be used in any format without written permission.
> Researched. developed, and taught the first College-level Course in Night Photography, both black & White and color - 1979 to 1990. Also taught Design and Visual Concepts, Environmental Portraiture, Natural Light, Art Appreciation and Figure.
> 1979-1990 Academy of Art College (University), San Francisco, CA.
> University of California, Berkeley Arts Extension, San Francisco 1990-1992
> ....."Steve Harper - a guiding light for a whole generation of Night Photographers" - Michael Kenna
> "To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage" - Georgia O'Keefe
> From Wikipedia, under Night Photography:
In the late 1970s, Steve Harper taught the first college-level course on night photography at the Academy of Art College in San Francisco. The legacy of this program has led to San Francisco becoming a center of night photography.
iMacG5 - 10.6.4
I will not be posting images daily. Night Photography production is limited compared to the posibilities of day shooting, particularly if your snapping away on a digital camera.
Until the recent acquisition a Canon 5D all of the images on my site are taken with FILM processed normally.
Images that are taken at night can appear surreal due to the transformation caused by the passage of time during a long exposure. Any change in the atmosphere, any motion, the fact that the earth is turning, any circumstance that happens in front of the lens during the exposure that is beyond the photographer's control etch themselves onto the film and become part of the illusion.
I mention this because in this age of digital manipulation, I wish to point out that these images are not manipulated and the effects that make them surreal are not caused by digital manipulation.They are just straight photographs taken at night instead of during the day.
Performances in front of the camera while the image is being etched is a separate artistic concept.
Web and Blog site: www.steveharperphotography.com
> I will try to respond to all comments, invites and awards, but because of time, must favor member's work that causes my own imagination to spark - and - because of my background, I will pay particular attention to photography done at night.
>> I am highly allergic to bizarre PhotoShop and HDR manipulations, particularily manipulations that alter the reality of nature. It concerns me greatly that Nature is changing on its own unnaturally fast.
>>> And if you are religiously "macro flower" , please read my latest comments on a couple of '"lovely", "just georgeous" flower macro images below:
"What interested me immediately was that little red face in the background with its mouth angrily open and its ears erect!"
"I think 'lovely' macro images of flowers are some of the most bizarre images I see. Many of them are very hairy!" or.....
> Macros of the centers of flowers puts them out of context to me so I tend not envision the part that is missing and concentrate on what I am actually seeing, i.e., "How totally bizarre! It looks like an embryo on a nice pink cushion!"
Photos of Sharper24 (2)
- The Gallery Of Fine Photography [No frames/signatures] 40,260 photos, 5,129 members
- STORMSCAPES 7,410 photos, 791 members
- Spectacular Landscapes-invited images only :-) 14,289 photos, 6,085 members
- Sicard Snowblowers 535 photos, 14 members
- 2011 Mono Lake Night Photography Festival 92 photos, 19 members
- Shield Of Excellence - Level 2 (p1/a5) 25,156 photos, 3,358 members
- Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy 2,515 photos, 495 members
- Getty Images on Flickr 0 photos, 15,925 members
- SF Bay Area Shooters (sfbas) 121,351 photos, 4,209 members
- Northern California Photographers 71,748 photos, 1,975 members
- California's Bay Area Group 72,023 photos, 3,242 members
- Aperture Nature Photography Workshops Contest 1,544 photos, 3,656 members
- Nightshift 1,080 photos, 16 members
- Flickr Diamond - Invited Photos ONLY 115,616 photos, 21,914 members
- Against Chain Group Invites (SAY NO) 242 photos, 103 members
- Night shooters 49,543 photos, 3,654 members
- We say NO to VIDEOS on FLICKR 941 photos, 23,165 members
- Mare Island Nocturnes 760 photos, 129 members
- Night Shot - Invite only (Post 1, invite 1 - comment 2) 10,363 photos, 3,916 members
- Mendocino County, California 6,561 photos, 459 members
- Mega Shot Post 1, fave 2 4,523 photos, 7,993 members
- Fine-ART photos (Invite only) 34,669 photos, 10,242 members
- Dragon Gold Award " The Best Of Flickr " 487,763 photos, 25,420 members
- "A" Class (Please,comment 2) / Pls, Comment immediately. 509,913 photos, 21,779 members
- Trophy 29,156 photos, 5,047 members
- Creative Photo Group_ BASIC (P1-C3) 470,236 photos, 28,818 members
- The Blues! 80,460 photos, 7,908 members
- *THE PERFECT PHOTOGRAPHER (P1/A2) 826,166 photos, 51,875 members
- Ultimate Shot ~Invited Images Only! POST 1/ Comment 1 47,679 photos, 11,885 members
- The Unforgettable Pictures ~ Post 1, Comment 3 ~ NEW RULES!! 246,453 photos, 30,155 members
- PASSION PHOTOGRAPHY (COMMENTS PHOTO) 95,679 photos, 14,004 members
- Photographic Art Legacy - ADMIN INVITE only! 21,698 photos, 5,722 members
- flickr photo group 56,057 photos, 2,539 members
- Black & White Art Awards (Post 1 - Award 3) 464,317 photos, 34,513 members
- EMPYREAN Land/Cityscapes (AdminInvite) 25,133 photos, 3,452 members
- Flickr's Legend - Invite ONLY! *~Quality Only! *~NO Video! 3,831 photos, 2,261 members
- We travel the World 633,810 photos, 34,758 members
- Award Winner 54,999 photos, 3,698 members
- Colour Art Awards -=Post 1, Award 3=- (Colours ONLY) 371,055 photos, 25,675 members
- What a Wonderful World. (post 1/ comment 3) 167,739 photos, 8,648 members
- Fl♥ckr Extraordinary Capture - Post 1 Comment 3 143,138 photos, 7,798 members
- Wonderful world Mix ( Post 1 - Comment 5.) Please!!! 126,326 photos, 6,670 members
- Todays Best Award- Invite Only 3,459 photos, 1,335 members
- TheFinalCrown (Invite Only-Post1/Award3) 4,158 photos, 1,814 members
- Golden Photographer (Invite Only Images and +10Faves) 26,468 photos, 5,738 members
- Beautiful Earth 278,671 photos, 9,680 members
- Light STREAM___ 78,198 photos, 11,526 members
- *Magic EYE* 40,138 photos, 3,940 members
- Irresistible Beauty - Invited photos only 14,399 photos, 3,516 members
- Color Photo Award - PREMIER -- Post 1: Give 2 - Get 5: Go BRONZE 194,867 photos, 31,777 members
yushimoto_02 [christian] says:
""It’s a true pleasure to write a testimonial for Steve. The discovery of Steve’s photography is definitely one of my personal highlights in Flickr and his stream is always full of inspiration and is definitely one of the finest on Flickr! Steve speaks a very personal and clear language in his pictures – his compositions are technical perfect, always very artistic and precise, clean and balanced and full of elegance. But what I like best, is that his nightphotography gives such an unique perspective that it is like a gate to a previously unknown world. I am looking forward to see more of Steve’s work!""
7th December, 2008
"I remember the moment in 1990 when my brother gave me the book Michael Kenna's Night Walk and looking through it in absolute wonder and amazement. When I discovered Steve's photostream I had that same feeling. Steve's work always captivates me. I think his work redefines the possibilities of photography and the medium in general. And to know Steve is to know a kind and giving man, a wonderful teacher, and ultimately someone who inspires you to do better. A personal thank you a million times over.
7th March, 2008
"A visit to Steve's photostream is an adventure into the math and science of photography, but in addition, it is an immersion into the true art of photography. I love to visit Steve's photostream. I can't wait to see his latest magic through the lens."
2nd November, 2007
"Genius Night Photographer.
One outstanding thing about Steve is when you see his photo eve without athe name of his, you can tell that he is the photographer. There is a signature in all of his photos, the night, the blue, the serene yet moving.
I admire your work"
22nd October, 2007
"Steve is a patient and caring teacher. His stream is so informative on the technical side of night photography and his images are a wonderful example of this and of perfect composition and perspective. Also, every now and then we can get caught up in the world around us and forget to take the time to delve into our inner world. Thank you Steve for making me stop and appreciate a photograph for the emotions it reflects, both by the photographer and to the viewer."
15th September, 2007
Fer Gregory says:
"You are the best Night photographer I've seen around Flickr,
your photos are amazing!"
6th September, 2007
VJ Spectra says:
"Steve is one of the most unique artists on Flickr. He is a true pioneer in the art of night photography. I admire the fact he has done all his photography on film - certainly a much harder medium to master. His skill in capturing an image without relying on software manipulation also highlights his talent behind the lens."
5th September, 2007
"Steve Harper's stream is like a workshop, or maybe like a school for me. I feel lucky for finding his night photographs in Flickr. They inspired and tought me well...Thank you Steve, I am greatful!"
20th July, 2007
"All I can say is wow. Steve has so many fantastic shots on his stream it is amazing, especially because he's using film and not digital. I've messed around just a little bit with long exposures and I can only imagine the knowledge he must have aquired over the years to attain such images. I'm amazed and humbled by his work.
I highly recommend spending some quality time and looking at his photos."
11th May, 2007
Toby Keller / Burnblue says:
"Steve Harper's work is an inspiration in this age of instant gratification and Photoshop. He has a vast lake of experience and knowledge at his disposal, and his photos speak for themselves.
On top of all that, he's a wonderfully nice guy and gives generously of his time and knowledge to comment on and respond to his fellow photographers' work.
I look forward to learning more from one of the night Masters!"
17th April, 2007
Lost America says:
"Steve truly is the pope of night photography. The tiny cult of west coast night shooters of the 90s (who begat the tidal wave of current night shooters) can be directly connected to Steve's night photography classes at the Academy of Art in San Francisco. In a time when virtually no one was doing time exposures at night, Steve was out there reinventing and teaching these old-school techniques. He's a giant."
28th March, 2007
- Steve Harper
- August 2006
- Wewoka, Oklahoma
- Greenbrae, CA, USA
- I am:
- Male and Single