I don't mind company. Feel free to browse through my photos, leave a comment here and there.
Kalense? Ka-LEN-say. I was a kid there but age has caught up. Simple as that. KK still works.
Kalense is - or was - a clearing in the bush not far from a little village called Kasama.
What makes me who I am? Here are the things I believe.
My photos that got into Interestingness are definitely not the ones I like most.
I'm not interested in getting pictures into "explore", but my purpose in posting in flickr, after all, is for people to look at them.
I like comments on my shots, but if your comment is accompanied by a gif, the chances are I'll delete it.
Photos of Kalense Kid (1)
- Guatemala 35,655 photos, 2,014 members
- Skedvik 0 photos, 1 member
- Our Daily Topic 19,637 photos, 709 members
- COFFEE AND CIGARETTES 17,791 photos, 6,633 members
- Photography Critique - Discussion 0 photos, 462 members
- Stranger in Sweden 583 photos, 19 members
- flickr (unofficial) 909,644 photos, 68,438 members
- Invisible Pink Unicorn 6 photos, 4 members
- Islands, New Zealand- 529 photos, 90 members
- Critique 66,806 photos, 10,226 members
- The World Through My Eyes - Portrait Thursdays is *OPEN* 3,154,538 photos, 92,016 members
- Decisive Moment 70,730 photos, 18,976 members
- Lichen 9,603 photos, 1,327 members
- Lichen in New Zealand 153 photos, 19 members
- Color Escape: B&W ONLY (NO COLOR) 26,166 photos, 1,581 members
- Pictures That Make you Say "Wow", Post 1 / Comment 1 5,982 photos, 374 members
- Lenana School/ Duke of York School 50 photos, 14 members
- Digital Photography School 217,268 photos, 16,302 members
- Schools of the World 2,586 photos, 1,923 members
- Pareidolia 5,191 photos, 906 members
- Tilley Hat Adventures 460 photos, 89 members
- Written Words 5,902 photos, 735 members
- Sheep 26,288 photos, 5,511 members
- Words and Art 15,201 photos, 697 members
- Smokers 12,647 photos, 3,587 members
- Rockforms 7,977 photos, 1,308 members
- Rocks and Geology 64,224 photos, 5,798 members
- Search The Best (Post INVITED Photos Only) New Group 1,428 photos, 594 members
- Unforgettable Landscapes(High Quality) 40,777 photos, 6,773 members
- Gloomy 8,632 photos, 640 members
- Fabulous Fog 9,809 photos, 1,952 members
- Fog and Rain 188,216 photos, 36,895 members
- Misty B/W Landscapes 532 photos, 81 members
- Misty hazy smokey 11,319 photos, 1,413 members
- Trees in Mist 25,393 photos, 5,556 members
- The Mist Fantastic 3,162 photos, 676 members
- mist mist and more mist 8,679 photos, 1,417 members
- abandoned sweden 6,700 photos, 257 members
- Matfors 252 photos, 6 members
- Sweden 178,368 photos, 6,035 members
- Spirit of Sweden / Norway 36,904 photos, 1,756 members
- Woods & Forests 87,785 photos, 8,227 members
- Wald/Forest/Forêt/Foresta/Bosque/غابة 24,428 photos, 2,065 members
- Enchanted Forests of the World 21,946 photos, 2,661 members
- Mac Addicts 32,352 photos, 7,996 members
- Arabic Typography 2,339 photos, 1,045 members
- Split Toning 4,815 photos, 660 members
- ALTER-Net Summer School at Peyresq 33 photos, 30 members
- World Waterfall Database 5,717 photos, 1,107 members
- Milford Track Freedom Walkers 378 photos, 19 members
"KK's stream is part art gallery, part meditation on the infinite absurdities of contemporary society, and part cry for help. Or whisky. Or something. It's really a beguiling mix, with occasional visual gems spiced with mental acrobatics. It's a circus for grown-ups, with footnotes. Be careful - he's rather addictive."
1st February, 2009
"Martin is erudite and gifted! He may present himself as a curmudgeon – don't be fooled! He is charming and a talented observer of nature, stop by his photos and if nothing else enjoy the titles, his reference to literature and music know no bounds"
7th September, 2007
"Based solely upon his photo stream, I would describe KK as an observer. By moving through his pictures, I feel a sense of where he has been and what he has seen. He manages to make these observant images aesthetically pleasing.
Best of all, I don't think he knows just how good a photographer he really is."
17th April, 2007
"Kalense Kid finds a lyricism of humanity and nature in moments, environments, literature (including songs) and, of course, photography...among others. He presents his observations admirably and concisely and effectively.
In short, he is a poet. One who uses words and images to present his observations - sometimes wittily, sometimes sharply, sometimes reverently...always adeptly.
'Nuff said. Take a look y'all."
1st July, 2006
"KK/Martin seems to have a reputation on Flickr of being grumpy and harsh, but I think people are being fooled by that stern avatar he's got -- behind the dark glasses is a thoughtful, insightful, and wonderfully articulate mind, combined with an elegant eye and curious approach to the world. his photos are honest and straightforward, and often with an underlying grace or humor that keeps me coming back to them again and again. I hope very much to share a few sips of Talisker in person one of these days..."
4th May, 2006
"KK is one of the few people on my contacts list who bears the extension "friend". Because like a true friend, I'm always interested and often tickled to hear what he's got to say (I've encountered him largely through DeleteMe and CreamMe groups, wit and crit respectively). He's a damn good critic, and this shows in his own eclectic bunch of photo styles—hard to pin down, but always worth looking at and trying to work out how he saw this. One of the Flickr originals, ploughing his own furrow and defiantly jousting with fashion."
26th January, 2006
"Interestingly, of Martin's photos, the things that stick out in my head are those that frequently describe both peace and humor -- a misty bridge, rushing water by a vivid plant, a charismatic portrait of his brother -- and that's probably descriptive of his personality, too. KK is kind, frequently insightful, and, when poked, also bitingly, sarcastically funny. I love him. You should too."
20th January, 2006
"I had an uncle once who was constantly mean to me but for some reason I loved him anyway. That's KK. His toxicity somehow reveals a great person. One of the more unique personalities I've come across on Flickr."
8th July, 2005
Ms Entropy says:
"For some inexplicable reason, I haven't written a testimonial for Kalense yet.
He's wonderful with words and images. especially when coinciding in the same visual space.It's almost too difficult to attempt to write a testimonial for this man (aha, I see why I didn't before), because he's too complex for a "blurb."
His insights are often direct, precise, correct, and a challenge, but a very welcome one.
Kalense is someone for whom I have a great deal of respect, not merely as a person putting thoughts into imagery, and capping it off with text, but also, as, well, a person. And that's the highest compliment I could give someone."
24th May, 2005
Lorrie McClanahan says:
"Apprently, Martin has been just about everywhere, and he brings back photos, song references and a keen wit for us to share. Very generous, that. From the ordinary to the stunning, these images and their captions are a joy."
1st May, 2005
- Martin Sharman
- February 2005
- where the heart is
- Brussels, Belgium
- I am: